Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Logic families

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

What are the current popular digital logic families? Years ago, I used 74HC and 74HCT, but I suppose something else is in vogue now. I don't need anything particularly high-speed, just robust for a rugged environment.

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited:
DSGarcia said:
What are the current popular digital logic families? Years ago, I used 74HC and 74HCT, but I suppose something else is in vogue now. I don't need anything particularly high-speed, just robust for a rugged environment.

Depending what you're trying to do, most logic chips have been replaced by micro-controllers like the PIC these days.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Depending what you're trying to do, most logic chips have been replaced by micro-controllers like the PIC these days.

I just need some very simple logic. For my current application, I only need an AND or NAND and would probably just use something like a 74HC00. I was just wondering if some other logic family is more popular these days. I know that I will need to come up to speed on the PIC perhaps someday, but that would be overkill for something very simple.
Thanks,
Dale

DSGarcia said:
I just need some very simple logic. For my current application, I only need an AND or NAND and would probably just use something like a 74HC00. I was just wondering if some other logic family is more popular these days. I know that I will need to come up to speed on the PIC perhaps someday, but that would be overkill for something very simple.
Thanks,
Dale

Most of the newer families are either trying to be faster than HC & HCT or are low voltage (3V and lower!) HC & HCT are still fully supported though.

Nigel Goodwin said:

These days, it seems most discrete logic applications are for "glue" logic on a PCB where only a few gates are needed. These situations never justify a micro. I dont think anyone attempts to build complicated logic circuits discretely these days.

Since I gave up on power-hungry old TTL, I have always used CD4000 series low power Cmos. It works from an unregulated supply from 3V to 18V.

I use 74HC high-speed Cmos for 2V to 6V battery powered circuits.

Last edited:
Glad to know CMOS is still the one. I will be ordering a PIC book to get up to speed for the more complex circuits.
Thanks,
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back