Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Location Transmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsansharjeel

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and in electronics as well, but have a lot of experience in software development in .net and other technologies.

I am planning to prepare a moving device, like a car which can be controlled by computer. Where ever the car moves, the computer knows its position in X and Y axis. Or you can say car will move by the direction and distance ordered by the computer software program.

I just need some transmeter and receiver which always transmit its position in X and Y axis.

Can any one give me some idea how do I achieve this.

You are starting REALLY big there. There are details which will need to be drilled down meticulously for that purpose.

I suppose you could have just used image processing, softwares like Processing or MATLAB with a webcam, since you're good with a software.

Take a look at RC car toys. They're a bit complex devices that works by the L,R,FW,BW button control signals transmitted and received/processed to fire up the necessary moving commands inside the car circuitry(probably a uC based intelligent device).
Few noted for you.
*) The transmitter buttons can be re-configured using transistors as switches so that the mechanical switches are replaced by electronic switches. Hack the radio transmitter.
*) The transistor switch connected to a programmed microcontroller unit.
*) The uC is programmed in such a way that it can communicate with the computer via serial interface.
*) The client program on the computer end thus controls the car moving direction as the end result.
*) Two-way communication if needed is going to be again more complex.
Hope this helps :)

Are you trying to do a 'dead reckoning' method?

There are small GPS modules you can buy but will only give you at best, about 15 feet accuracy.

Beyond that you would have to create your own high pulse rate location system for determination by RF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back