Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

located EEprom on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbarry7920

Hi all, please help me locate the EEprom on this board.
Thank you
Mitch

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg.jpg
    123_1.jpeg.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 518
Post the part numbers of the 8 pin parts for starters. The ones with 4 pins on each of two sides.

Regards, Dana.

It will likely be one of the 8 pin ICs. Most likely it will be closer to the CPU than those farther away.

If you post the make and model of your TV, rather than keep posting blurred pictures, it would make life much easier for you. Usually the EEPROM will be an 8 pin chip, but it could be contained inside a much larger one.

Only Eprom I know looks like this. Maybe this is an EEprom? That was 35 years ago. I forgot more than I ever knew.

Eprom.jpg

Why do you think there is an eeprom?
Many micro computers have them inside now days.

Hopefully he might get back to us, and give us details as I asked above - but certainly only a few years ago use of 8 pin EEPROM's was still commonplace in TV's. Corruption of them was also EXTREMELY common, and manufacturers seemed to struggle with preventing it. I used to keep a folder of different EEPROM files for different makes and models, for that exact reason.

The classic example was probably Samsung, who for years knowingly fitted sub-standard electrolytics (which often failed while still under the initial 12 months warranty) - the resulting ripple and wrong voltages on the supply rails commonly corrupted, or damaged the EEPROM.

On the Samsung sets there were basically four options:

1) Replace the EEPROM with a new ready programmed one from Samsung.
2) Replace the EEPROM with a new blank one, which you programmed using the file from the folder I mentioned above.
3) Replace the EEPROM with a new blank one, which the TV detects, and then fills with original factory defaults that are stored inside the micro-controller.
4) Short SDA and SCK together on the EEPROM (with a small screwdriver) and power the set ON, this makes the set think the EEPROM is blank, and by removing the short at the correct time the existing EEPROM will be programmed with the factory defaults.

The problem with option 4 is if the EEPROM is faulty or damaged, but it was the preferred option, as it was faster and low cost - and if it didn't cure it, then replace the EEPROM.

Like I said, I forgot more than I ever knew that was many years ago. I use to write programs for industrial controllers, first there was the SLC150 then the SLC250 then next generation. I also wrote programs for several other industrial controllers. I wrote the programs on a computer then uploaded them to the controller Eprom. Controllers have replaceable Eproms that stored the program in memory. I could put programs on as many spare Eproms as was needed. I retired 20 years ago those controllers are probably obsolete by now but I still see them for sale on Ebay. If a customer like, Ford, Chrysler, GM, said, we need a machine that will make 10,000. of these certain part per 8 hr shift, I was design engineer I designed and built the machine and programmed it too. Do google search for SLC150 maybe it tells you if it has eprom or eeprom I just don't remember. I also wrote programs for traffic control lights that was very interesting each light is different for each traffic flow pattern some lights have 8 seconds of dead time for red light runners that refuse to stop when light turns red. Now days traffic lights have cell phone idiots to deal with. Mc Clean Anderson equipment made mega volt power line switch gear fuses their equipment needs dozens of replaceable eproms for each product they make.

Last edited:
Like I said, I forgot more than I ever knew that was many years ago. I use to write programs for industrial controllers, first there was the SLC150 then the SLC250 then next generation. I also wrote programs for several other industrial controllers. I wrote the programs on a computer then uploaded them to the controller Eprom. Controllers have replaceable Eproms that stored the program in memory. I could put programs on as many spare Eproms as was needed. I retired 20 years ago those controllers are probably obsolete by now but I still see them for sale on Ebay. If a customer like, Ford, Chrysler, GM, said, we need a machine that will make 10,000. of these certain part per shift, I was design engineer I designed and built the machine and programmed it too. Do google search for SLC150 maybe it tells you if it has eprom or eeprom I just don't remember. I also wrote programs for traffic control lights that was very interesting each light is different for each traffic flow pattern some lights have 8 seconds of dead time for red light runners that refuse to stop when light turns red. Now days traffic lights have cell phone idiots to deal with. Mc Clean Anderson equipment made mega volt power line switch gear fuses their equipment needs dozens of replaceable eproms for each product they made.

I presume you don't know what either means?.

Originally there was ROM - Read Only Memory - essentially 'blowing' fuses inside the chip, a one-off time operation.

Next was EPROM - Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory - you could erase the device with UV light.

What we're taking about here is EEPROM - Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory - these are usually small 8 pin I2C (or SPI) devices used for storing settings, such as the tuning settings in your TV.

I presume you don't know what either means?.

Originally there was ROM - Read Only Memory - essentially 'blowing' fuses inside the chip, a one-off time operation.

Next was EPROM - Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory - you could erase the device with UV light.

What we're taking about here is EEPROM - Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory - these are usually small 8 pin I2C (or SPI) devices used for storing settings, such as the tuning settings in your TV.

All I remember is, EPROM is Erasable Memory and EEPROM is Electrically Eraseable Memory.

Electrically Eraseable Programmable Read Only Memory - these are usually small 8 pin I2C (or SPI) devices used for storing settings, such as the tuning settings in your TV.

I am currently going through a love/hate relationship with a 14 pin surface mount variant of the good old 8 pin DIL 24C16 eeprom.

These are used to hold the Tx/Rx channel information in an old ex PMR VHF transceiver.
If you have not got the programming tool for the radio (which I have not), it is easy to pull out the old 8pin DIL eeproms and do the tweeking with a suitable eeprom programmer.
But with a 14 pin surface mount device...
...it is a bit of a faff unsoldering the device from the radio, mounting it on an adapter for the programmer, editing the bits, remove eeprom from adapter, solder it back into the radio, find that it is still not quite right, etc, etc.

Please excuse the thread drift.

JimB

I remember earlier D2817 EEPROM, those as 28 pin DIP packages emulating a 2716 but with more pins (28 vs 24) to allow programming. I still have a few of them :)

D2817A.jpg

When I retired I ended up with a bunch of brand new eproms & eeproms that were never used. I tried to sell them on ebay but they did not sell so I trashed all of them. I might still accidently have 1 someone where??? Prices of the old SLC150 were $20 each 5 years ago but today I see prices on Ebay $200 and $300 each, they are probably antique collector items now.

I am currently going through a love/hate relationship with a 14 pin surface mount variant of the good old 8 pin DIL 24C16 eeprom.

These are used to hold the Tx/Rx channel information in an old ex PMR VHF transceiver.

Funnily enough, the guy (Andrew) I now work with (and for) was originally my apprentice, and after he moved on, one place he worked was an Amateur Radio Dealer (now sadly defunct) - and as well as been the sole UK importer for Kenwood for many years, they also became the sole UK importers for Kantronics, who made TNC's (amateur radio modems), one of which I had (and still have for that matter). Anyway, at the dealers no one was interested in the Kantronics TNC's - anti-computer radio ham snobs :D - so my friend volunteered to do anything involving them, including talking to the American manufacturers.

The software in them was regularly updated, and came on EPROM's - 2708's or whatever? - and Andrew was the guy involved in copying new EPROM's to sell to customers. Rather kindly, every time an update came out, he sent me a set of EPROM's for free :D

Another 'similar' story was a UHF receiver I bought from them - they were PMR radios, not amateur, but could be programmed to cover the UK 70cm band, and they were selling them off very cheaply. They had a selector switch for a relatively small number of channels, and the specific channels were set in a pair of PROM's (no eraseable rubbish involved :D) and again. I was able to obtain free updates whenever I wanted.

So there's a good long history of radio gear and memory chips.

looking at the board,
Hi all, please help me locate the EEprom on this board.
judging by the wiring pattern with a lot of the I/O lines going to the left of the board, including a couple that go directly to IC600, i would say IC600 on the left edge of the board.

looking at the board,

judging by the wiring pattern with a lot of the I/O lines going to the left of the board, including a couple that go directly to IC600, i would say IC600 on the left edge of the board.
You may be right, but then, all those lines may go under that chip to the Test Points. The test points may be used for ICSP programming of the little CPU. My guess would be IC202. An I2C EEPROM would only require 2 signal lines, not the many lines that go towards IC600 on the board.
But, this forum asked a while back for the OP to post the part numbers of the 8 pin chips. With that, we can tell for sure if any of them are EEPROM. It is also possible only the CPU chip has EEPROM internally, and there is none external. Again, without chip labels or numbers, no one can give an educated guess unless they happen to have the same board...

You may be right, but then, all those lines may go under that chip to the Test Points. The test points may be used for ICSP programming of the little CPU. My guess would be IC202. An I2C EEPROM would only require 2 signal lines, not the many lines that go towards IC600 on the board.
But, this forum asked a while back for the OP to post the part numbers of the 8 pin chips. With that, we can tell for sure if any of them are EEPROM. It is also possible only the CPU chip has EEPROM internally, and there is none external. Again, without chip labels or numbers, no one can give an educated guess unless they happen to have the same board...

The OP hasn't been back since he posted the question, if he gave the make and model we could probably easily tell him which (if any) is the EEPROM - as you can often download the manual.

Sorry guys I've been out of town. just to explain why I need it, I have a GMC car, the radio stopped working, so I bought an identical one online, when I installed it, it says "locked". I read that if I swap the eeprom chips, the info stored on my old Radio will get moved to the new one and the radio is unlocked.
Please see attached pics for all of the chips with 8 pins. here are the numbers chip1 RSS070 NO5 128
Chip2 5500B PRUU
Chip3 TJA1040 F6 14 D112
Chip4 2313 11D2Y

Your input is appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• radio chip 5.jpg
    radio chip 5.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 461
  • Radio chip.jpg
    Radio chip.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 923
  • radio chip2.jpg
    radio chip2.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 240
  • radio chip3.jpg
    radio chip3.jpg
    744.9 KB · Views: 281
  • radio chip4.jpg
    radio chip4.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 235
It's not the TJA1040. That is a CAN transceiver and it doesn't store any data.

Nor is it the RSS070. That is a MOSFET, I think. It is labelled Q700, which implies that it's a transistor, and the four pins on one side are joined together, as are three of the pins on the other side. That is how MOSFETs are often arranged.

I don't recognise any other parts.

Your photos don't line up with your descriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back