Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load switch MOSFET

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark

I have following supplies going to my module:

+15V,-15V,GND . I want to switch it ON/OFF , which is the best way to do this . Is it enough to switch the +15V line , or a switch at -15V is required too ? if yes how can -15V be switched N-Channel Mosfet?

-Adi

The best way is using a DPDT-relay rated properly.

Boncuk

The best way is using a DPDT-relay rated properly.

Boncuk

I am running out of PCB space , I forgot to mention the load is quite low 200mA max . Is disconnection of -15V altogether mandatory ?

-Adi

If you can access the Jan. 2009 issue of Circuit Cellar Magazine, there is a relevant article on the application of NFETs. ... That would be issue #222. ... not the current one displayed on their website ..... ought to be out in print in a week of two... The article diagrams show the schematic icon for depletion mode NFETs, but the author specifically states that he is talking about enhanced mode NFETs .... if I understand correctly.

From the text content, it looks like you could handle the GND to -15 V NFET case by placing the load above the NFET, with the NFET source terminal at -15 V ... Then turn the NFET on by raising the gate to GND potential, and off by lowering the gate to -15 V .... I have not actually tried this myself...

I am running out of PCB space , I forgot to mention the load is quite low 200mA max . Is disconnection of -15V altogether mandatory ?

-Adi
Yes, you need to switch both of them. How are you turning off the positive supply?

Last edited:
Yes, you need to switch both of them. How are you turning off the positive supply?

Actually I want to switch off an IC when not in use for the measurement . Can you please tell me what damage could result if only -15V and GND keeps connected and +15V is raised. I think to use PMOS and NMOS to do this .

-Adi

Shoot, if it's under 200 ma you could just use a 2n3904 and a 2n3906.

Dead simple - emitter of the 2n3906 on +15v, emitter of the 2n3904 on the -15v, collectors are outputs. Now, make a series circuit running the base of the 2n3906 through a 220 ohm resistor to the collector of a third 2n3904, the emitter of that to the base of the 2n3904. Switch that transistor on and it turns on both supplies. This second 2n3904 will bias on at -13.6v. If that isn't convenient, there are other ways to do it - what is delivering the switch voltage? A port pin or something?

Many devices that use +/- supplies have power sequencing requirements. Often if this sequencing is not follwed the device can go into a latchup mode where tons of current is drawn and can blow the suplly fuse or the part. I once encountered this problem with a Nat Semi CODEC device. The boards blew fuses for months before I determined the cause.

Last edited:
dark - something like this -
I replaced the 3904 with a 2n2222 and the 3906 with a 2n2907 to increase the current capability from 200 to 600ma.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 414
dark - something like this -
I replaced the 3904 with a 2n2222 and the 3906 with a 2n2907 to increase the current capability from 200 to 600ma.
Q2 has to be driven by a signal referenced to -15V.

Yes, like I mentioned in an earlier post, it will turn on at -13.6v. The could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the rest of the circuit. You could change Q2 to a 2n3906 and flip that part of the circuit upside-down to get it to work with a ground reference, but then it's inverted and sitting near +15v, so you would add a fourth transistor...

Better to wait and see what dark is driving it with.

Last edited:
Yes, like I mentioned in an earlier post, it will turn on at -13.6v. The could be an advantage or disadvantage depending on the rest of the circuit. You could change Q2 to a 2n3906 and flip that part of the circuit upside-down to get it to work with a ground reference, but then it's inverted and sitting near +15v, so you would add a fourth transistor...

Better to wait and see what dark is driving it with.

Duffy , I do have a reference GND for the IC . I have the circuit for running upto 85C and I think 2N3906 cant be sinked for worst temperature conditions or am'I worrying too much.
Is it mentioned in the datasheet regarding the power sequensing threat . Mikebits it would be appretiated if you please help me as to this regards , the chip is (AD 6 9 8).

Thanks
-Adi

Last edited:
Sheesh, its not hard, a minature DPDT relay would solve the problem simply. No leakage and as small as a circuit involving transistors.

Sheesh, its not hard, a minature DPDT relay would solve the problem simply. No leakage and as small as a circuit involving transistors.

I'll go with that, simple, small and cheap.:)

Attachments

• esp02 Dec. 29.gif
    esp02 Dec. 29.gif
    30.7 KB · Views: 283
You still haven't told us what you are driving the switch with.

Last edited:
Please see my previous thread I did mentioned there.

-Adi

I have looked at your threads, where does it say how you are going to control this additional power switching device.

Is it a switch input or a logic input, etc.?:)

Is it mentioned in the datasheet regarding the power sequensing threat . Mikebits it would be appretiated if you please help me as to this regards , the chip is (AD 6 9 8).

Thanks
-Adi

From the data sheet, power sequencing does not appear to be an issue with your device. At any rate I would not remove +v while maintaining -v. So you should go with some of the proceeding suggestions.

I have looked at your threads, where does it say how you are going to control this additional power switching device.

Is it a switch input or a logic input, etc.?:)

Actually what I understand is Duffy wants to know if the GND pin is of any need in switching the negative rail.I gave hime the chip number for that . It is using GND as a reference .

Anyways Thanks everybody for your valuable inputs...

-Adi

That's not telling us what you are driving it with. Makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back