Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lm7805

Status
Not open for further replies.

uaefame

I have a 9V battery and i want to turn on a microcontroller. I am using LM7805 as a voltage regulator. what caught my eye is why i need to use capaciter ??

I tried without capaciter and it work!

The thing that amaze me is the suggestion of manual LM7805 to use capaciter.

See diagram below

Attachments

• lm7805.JPG
    lm7805.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 946
I have a 9V battery and i want to turn on a microcontroller. I am using LM7805 as a voltage regulator. what caught my eye is why i need to use capaciter ??

See diagram below

hi uaefame,
Some of the older 780X Vregs can go unstable under certain conditions, the low value caps are there to prevent the instability, I would recommend you fit them.:)

Use the capacitors. I was using a 7815 voltage regulator without them one time. Sure enough I got 15V out of it when I was using a multimeter, but when I hooked up an oscilloscope it showed there was a large AC voltage superimposed on the 15V at a frequency of just over 1MHz. A multimeter will never catch anything like that. The data sheet for this specific regulator said it didn't need any capacitors, but when I put an output cap in there the high frequency oscillation went away.

7805's rely on the low output impedance of the emitter of their pass transistor to ensure stability. That impedance is not something that should be relied upon to be 'low enough'. Use a capacitor. 0.1uF ceramics are cheap.

A 7805 voltage regulator needs a minimum input voltage of 7V.
But a little 9V battery's voltage quickly drops to 7V so its life will be very short.
You should use a "low-dropout" 5V regulator that still works fine when the 9V battery's voltage drops to 5.5V.

A 7805 voltage regulator needs a minimum input voltage of 7V.
But a little 9V battery's voltage quickly drops to 7V so its life will be very short.
You should use a "low-dropout" 5V regulator that still works fine when the 9V battery's voltage drops to 5.5V.

I have a doubt on this. When a 9V battery drops to 5.5, where is the capacity in the battery to deliver power, even if the LDO regulator accepts the input and tries to give 5V DC as output?

Hi Sarma,
The internal resistance of an alkaline battery increases which causes its loaded voltage to drop. Then a low dropout regulator simply turns on more to keep the regulated output voltage at 5.0V.
If the load current increases then the voltage from the battery drops. If the load current decreases then the voltage from the battery increases.

Here is a graph of the loaded voltage dropping from Energizer's 9V alkaline battery:

Attachments

• 9V alkaline, 53mA load.PNG
    9V alkaline, 53mA load.PNG
    7.8 KB · Views: 319

See diagram below

Yes, the datasheet also explains *why* you need the capacitor. Just because one test shows that it *can* work without does not mean that it's a good idea to skip it.

Trust the datasheet. The people who wrote it know more about the 7805 than you do.

Torben

You should be reminded that the microcontroller also needs its own capacitor from 5V to GND. This may be in the :mu:C data sheet, but even if it isn't shown it is needed.

Don't forget that there is the low-power version in a TO-92 package, the 78L05, which takes up a lot less space and may consume less overhead power. It's rated for 100ma maximum.

Dean

Hi Sarma,
The internal resistance of an alkaline battery increases which causes its loaded voltage to drop. Then a low dropout regulator simply turns on more to keep the regulated output voltage at 5.0V.
And once he gets tired of buying alkaline batteries and uses a rechargeable "9V" with a nominal voltage of 7.2V, the LDO becomes even more important. ;)
Dean Huster said:
Don't forget that there is the low-power version in a TO-92 package
Not to mention that a 9V battery will be hard pressed to supply more than 100ma for very long anyway.

I recommend the LM2936Z-5, it only drops 200mV, has a low quiescent current 15:mu:A, it's cheap, robust and reverse polarity protected.

The only downside is it's only rated to 50mA but if you want more than that, then use the unregulated supply and you shouldn't really be using a 9V battery if you want more than 50mA anyway.

I personally have been using the LM2940, as it can drop to 5.6VDC (off the top of my head).

How to regulate 12volts to 5volts

I have created a tutorial to show you step by step how to properly wire a 12 volt to 5 volt LM7805 voltage regulator..so here it is **broken link removed**

Firstly it is not a: "12 volt to 5 volt LM7805 voltage regulator" and secondly you don't provide a circuit diagram in your mass of pictures.

I personally have been using the LM2940, as it can drop to 5.6VDC (off the top of my head).

Are you talking about input or output?

Could you rephrase it? (Native in Spanish here).

Gracias.

I tried using a 78L05 without the input cap and it destroyed it ! use the caps, your battery is probably a very stable supply, if for example you use it on a car with a fair length wire it will go horribly wrong

I think you should use a 5V regulator that is designed to be used in a car like most low-dropout regulators.
I think you should use the capacitor values and types that are recommended in the datasheet instead of using none or guessing that 1000uf and 100uf electrolytic capacitors might work (they should be ceramic or tantalum).

Look at the "car" features of the LM2931 low dropout regulator I use in cars:

Attachments

• low dropout regulator.PNG
    low dropout regulator.PNG
    19 KB · Views: 331
I have created a tutorial to show you step by step how to properly wire a 12 volt to 5 volt LM7805 voltage regulator..so here it is **broken link removed**
You ignored the original post and all the responses. Your "answer" to the question that he asked is wrong. He asked why it appeared to work for him on 9V without a capacitor.

OP wants to use a "9V" battery. In the posts that you didn't read, it was suggested that a 7805 may not be a good solution.

Apologies

Firstly it is not a: "12 volt to 5 volt LM7805 voltage regulator" and secondly you don't provide a circuit diagram in your mass of pictures.

In my particular design its 12 volts to 5 volts although I believe the LM7805 requires anywhere from 7volt to 25volt, which would work with his 9volt battery source right =)...I know I need to put up a circuit diagram I just havent got to it yet...however among the mass of pictures it shows step by step, literally, how to hook it up, so people would be able to see every step and not have to guess as to how to wire it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back