Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM555 Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcbyjj

Hello - I am new to electronics - I am a mechanical engineer . . please don't hate me . . .

Okay, I have a simple project that I can't seem to get all the numbers to jive right. I am looking to switch a simple LED / incandescent on, then off . . at ~1 second intervals...

Figured I would use a 555 timer with a variable pot . . .but I can't seem to get the right values for this .

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

tcbyjj said:
Hello - I am new to electronics - I am a mechanical engineer . . please don't hate me . . .

Okay, I have a simple project that I can't seem to get all the numbers to jive right. I am looking to switch a simple LED / incandescent on, then off . . at ~1 second intervals...

Figured I would use a 555 timer with a variable pot . . .but I can't seem to get the right values for this .

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

here is a 555 tutorial website:

i recommend you download the data sheet for the 555. The one that i have has all the formulas you need for determining values for R1,R2 and C to achieve whatever sq wave output you want.

If you already built the circuit, and its not quite what you expected, maybe the capacitor is a little off or bad, happens... Oh, the first cycle is always shorter for some reason....

Search for SS55511.EXE A nice free program that calculates the circuit and values for at least 4 modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back