Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM3916 24V measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

oriol

Hi everyone, I bought an LM3916 device to measure a 24V battery level, but there are only example circuits for 1.2-12V signal source, so I don't know if it's posible to design a circuit to measure those 24V. could it be posible?
Thank you

What you need is a voltage divider.

It is an easy concept to understand. Because each of R1 and R2 are identical. They each must drop 1/2 Vin.

**broken link removed**

Make R1 and R2 10K. Connect the voltage you need to measure to Vin. Connect Vout to the LM3916. When Vin is 24V Vout will be 12V.

3v0

yes, that's what I thought but, does it really work? I mean, does the LM3916 measure correctly the batteries state with a voltage divisor?

Why wouldn't it? It's a 12V lead acid vs a 24V lead acid, scaled down they have the same curves.

yes, that's what I thought but, does it really work? I mean, does the LM3916 measure correctly the batteries state with a voltage divisor?
As Sceadwian stated, it will. A resistor divider is perfectly linear. Thus the LM3916 output will be a proper representation of the 24V battery voltage.

The LM3916 is designed for an audio VU meter, which has a non-linear output. If you wanted a linear representation of the voltage, you would use the LM3914.

Last edited:
oops, yes, I thought 3916 was the linear one.... it's a logaritmic one then isn't it? I'd better use the LM3914.

Thanks

Is there another way to do a batteries measurement with some simple chips like LM3914? I say that because the LM3914 only goes to 5V..... and I need to measure 24V. The LM3916 goes to 12V but it's not linear

You just use a voltage divider as previously described to drop the 24V to 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back