Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM3914N Driver Cct

Status
Not open for further replies.

electric soup

Hi
I'm using this IC to measure batt voltage and drive LEDS...success
Does anyone know how I can switch a relay on when one of the LEDs are
lit?

thanks

Alex

electric soup said:
Hi
I'm using this IC to measure batt voltage and drive LEDS...success
Does anyone know how I can switch a relay on when one of the LEDs are
lit?

thanks

Alex[/Which ever LED you want to operate your relay_ connect one end of a 1k resistor to it's cathode, the other end to a PNP type transistor_say BC212 etc general pupose. Connect the emitter to the +v the collector two one side of your relay coil. Connect the other side to ground -V. Connect a diode say 1N4001 etc across the relay coil. Anode side to -V /circuit ground. Note supply voltage for relay coil? I haven't tried circuit with LM3914 but should work OK. Note none latching.]

Hi Alex,

MERV said:
Alex[/Which ever LED you want to operate your relay_ connect one end of a 1k resistor to it's cathode, the other end to a PNP type transistor_say BC212 etc general pupose. Connect the emitter to the +v the collector two one side of your relay coil. Connect the other side to ground -V. Connect a diode say 1N4001 etc across the relay coil. Anode side to -V /circuit ground. Note supply voltage for relay coil? I haven't tried circuit with LM3914 but should work OK. Note none latching.]

If you want to drive a relay you'll need a saturated switch,
therefore you'll need more base current than in (normal) linear
operation. The base current to drive your transistor won't flow
through the led which means that this led will be less bright than
the other's. So save yourself a resistor and connect the base
emitter junction of the transistor in series with the led.

on1aag.

Attachments

• LM3914 relay driver..GIF
    LM3914 relay driver..GIF
    7.8 KB · Views: 840
on1aag said:
Hi Alex,

If you want to drive a relay you'll need a saturated switch,
therefore you'll need more base current than in (normal) linear
operation. The base current to drive your transistor won't flow
through the led which means that this led will be less bright than
the other's. So save yourself a resistor and connect the base
emitter junction of the transistor in series with the led.

on1aag.
I believe your idea will not work, as the collector current is equal to the emitter current - the base current. The LED current is limited by the circuit of the LM3914 and that will be the maximum emitter current.

Hi k7elp60,

k7elp60 said:
I believe your idea will not work, as the collector current is equal to the emitter current - the base current. The LED current is limited by the circuit of the LM3914 and that will be the maximum emitter current.

Are we having fun yet ? :p

on1aag.

k7elp60 said:
Did you forget that most transistors have beta >> 1?
Brain fart, maybe?

Last edited:
Roff said:
Did you forget that most transistors have beta >> 1?
Brain fart, maybe?
After reconsidering my answer, Rolf is right it....... was a brain fart. The only thing the LM3914 is going to do is limit the base current.
One thing I like about this forum is if you make a mistake you know about it
pretty quick.

k7elp60 said:
After reconsidering my answer, Rolf is right it....... was a brain fart. The only thing the LM3914 is going to do is limit the base current.
One thing I like about this forum is if you make a mistake you know about it
pretty quick.
Well, see, I know you well enough to know that you knew that. So it had to be a brain fart. Mine gets pretty gassy sometimes.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back