Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lm388 1.3 - 30v power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main filter cap has a peak voltage of 15V.
The LM338 needs a minimum input of 15V for a 12V/5A output so the ripple voltage must be zero.

Yeah I get that, but he said that he is getting 18v on the cap. My solution was tailored to the middle ground, in that most of his high current loads are nasty like 12v DC motors and short circuits (which is why he has blown 5 ICs), and an assumption that if he needs perfect regulation it will generally be a lower current load and/or a lower voltage.

I know where he's coming from as my 5.5A bench supply get used for similar nasty loads, testing automotive gear etc, motors, charging batteries, and over 25 years the amount of times I have needed to use it for full 5.5A at max output voltage AND with perfect regulation has been exactly nil.

Making his supply perfect (ie adding good current regulation) would involve quite a bit of complexity and/or more Vin voltage headroom, so I suggested a reasonable tradeoff for his specific needs that *should* save him from more LM338 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back