Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM386N-1 Voltage Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mdkanz

I'm working on a circuit that uses an LM286N-1 and the datasheet says that you can power it with 4-12Volts I have just been using a 9v battery aand i was wondering if i used 12volts would it have higher gain? or just higher THD.

At 12 volts the part will get hotter. It can deliver more power before distortion. With 4 ohms load the higher supply will not help much. With 16 ohms load (and higher) the higher supply will allow for more output.

The power supply voltage does not affect the gain of an LM386 until the voltage is so low that the IC doesn't work properly.
The datasheet shows the output at clipping is 0.45W into 8 ohms with a 9V supply. With a 12V supply the output is slightly higher but the heat is much higher.

The power supply voltage also does not affect THD unless it is driven into clipping.
The voltage from a little 9V battery drops as it is used so of course the amount of output power at clipping also reduces.
The amplifier has a very high internal gain and has negative feedback that reduces the gain to 20 or 200. The high amount of negative feedback results in low harmonic distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back