Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM386N-1 elecret mic amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshthegeek1

Hi,
I would like to build a simple intercom using two different instances of a microphone and a speaker. I have a few LM386N-1 chips, and a 5 volt supply. Is there an easy circuit to build a mic amp with that chip, and a 10k pot as the volume control. I have an 8Ω speaker and the mic is Jameco part #136574. Thanks in advance for the help!
Josh The Geek

Your idea will produce long distance acoustical feedback howling because a sound will go around and around and go from end to end. You need a switch to disconnect your speaker when it connects your microphone.

Here is a circuit that can be used at each end:
If you use a 10k volume control then change the input coupling capacitor to 330nF.

Attachments

• LM386 with mic.PNG
    LM386 with mic.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 816
It looks like you simply tied both amps together, so they each amplify both mike signals. So what prevents feedback between each set of microphones and speakers?

Last edited:
It looks like you simply tied both amps together, so they each amplify both mike signals. So what prevents feedback between each set of microphones and speakers?
The circuit posted by Colin was originally from www.redcircuits.com . Colin has the gound of the top circuit shorted to the +supply of the bottom circuit.
It should have each circuit connected together with shielded audio cable.
Colin shows backwards polarity of the 22uF capacitors at the emitters.

The 20k trimpots adjust a null (the signal at the collector cancels the signal that has the opposite phase at the emitter) so that your voice is not heard from your speaker. Then switching is not required to avoid feedback and the circuit is "full-duplex".

Here is the circuit containing a "private" switch which turns off the master microphone when it's not desired to have speech going out to the slave.

It uses a TDA7052, but can easily be modified by using an LM386.

Boncuk

Attachments

• FULL-DUPLEX-INTERCOM-SCH.gif
    FULL-DUPLEX-INTERCOM-SCH.gif
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,052
Still backwards, no? The left sides of the 22uF caps are going to be more positive than the right sides.

(Not that it makes a huge difference, but it's just wrong.)

It's still wrong!

This reminds me of a similar problem we had several months ago where a revised image didn't show correctly because of browser caching or some such. I reloaded this page, but the image still shows the backwards cap on the emitter.

I'll try it tomorrow to see what it looks like then ...

This website keeps looking for the old image. I have changed the name of the image:
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
This website keeps looking for the old image. I have changed the name of the image:

Looks good now. If you delete one of the collector resistors it's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back