Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM386 speaker, woofer and tweeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumas

Hi... I have successfully built a circuit with an lm386n-4 with a 1/2 watt, 8ohm speaker. I'm powering it with 6v.

The loudness is ok - but i would like it to be more - something that I could put in a car and have it loud enough to overcome road noise.

I can get a pair of 8 ohm, 50 watt woofers - and wondered if they would work as a replacement for the 1/2 watt speaker.

I've read about building a crossover circuit - but thought I would take things 1 step at a time...

For now, I just want to get a decent sound.

Ur plan is not possible.
LM386 is very small amp. When u make the two 50W 8ohm woofers parallel, then it becomes 100W 4 ohm. Ur amplifier at 6V supply is not even 0.5W.
U need minimum 100W amplifier to drive the two 50W woofers in parallel with 4 ohm impedance.

LM386 is not a car amp. It’s a very small low voltage amp used in earlier 1989 portable tape players & AM radios. Don’t connect any woofers to it just connect a 4ohms speaker to it.

If you powering from a car then you have around 12-13.5 V voltage with a good ampere range. So better make an AMP that runs with 12V.Something like starting with TDA & TA numbers like TDA 2005 (bridge) .Will make a descent sound, if you need a preamp you can add that too & make a complete amp for car audio. For this amp you can connect woofers, tweeters etc.But not for LM386…..

Thanks for the feedback - it was very helpful...

By chance, can you recommend any project/circuit examples I could review/make?

palesha said:
U need minimum 100W amplifier to drive the two 50W woofers in parallel with 4 ohm impedance.
No you don't!
A TDA2005 and many other car radio bridged amp ICs have an output power of 14Watts at clipping with a 4 ohm load and a 13.8V supply. Then each 8 ohm woofer gets 7W which is a little less than a "200Whats" car radio that has four 14W channels.

The little LM386 has an output power at clipping of only 0.2W with a 6V supply and an 8 ohm speaker. Its power into 4 ohms is the same. Less than a cheap clock radio.

The TDA2005 has 20Watts into a 4 ohm load when its supply voltage is overcharging a car battery at 14.4V and when its volume control is turned up way too high so it has an awful sounding 10% distortion.
Look at the graph of distortion vs power. It clips at about 15W with a 14.4V supply and has less power when the supply is 13.8V.

The newer TDA7240A has only 7 pins and has the same performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back