Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM331 V-F Design, Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentSA

I am nearing the end of one of my electronics projects, however I have hit a problem and I really need help in designing a suitable linearity V-F.

I have requested help before while still familiarising myself with the LM331 in this post:
LM331 Post

I have now established my requirements and specifications.

I need the LM331 to be setup as a V-F with 0V = 0Hz and 10V = 30kHz
10V full scale = 30Khz
The supply will be a 12V Regulated supply.

Here is the problem ... In the datasheet
- The basic circuit given is only configured for 0 to 10kHz after which all hell breaks loose (linearity). :D I do not require excellent linearity just suitable i.e 1% or so

- The precision circuit is 0-100kHz but requires + and - voltage supply. I would like to keep things simple and only use a +12 Volt supply. Also this circuit is somehow designed for -10V full scale input.

On a side note I was keen on using the AD654 ... looks amazing but I cannot source this IC at a reasonable price in SA. The Lm331 is my second best option.

Can anyone please help me design a circuit using only +12V that meets my requirements

Regards,
StudentSA

I will take this approch and try the simple design in Figure 3 of the datasheet.

I have choosen values
Ct = 10nF
Rt = 10k
Rl = 50k
Rs = 31350 this will be a fixed with a series 10k pot

I will attempt this build later, my concern however from previous experiments was the linearity at higher frequency demands.

Let me recheck and get back.

Thanks,
SSA

Pay close attention to the datasheet notes concerning the types of components. Use metal film 1% (E96) resistors, COG/NPO 2% MLCC ceramic capacitors where appropriate and a proper layout. If these cautions are followed, you should be able to get 0.5%-1% linearity even on a breadboard (given appropriate changes in Rt & Ct to compensate for the inherent reactance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back