Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM324AN voltage controlled oscillator tutorial/video for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dentaku

I'd like to use an LM324AN to make a VCO.
I've found lots of good videos, websites and applications to help with 555 circuits (and created square waves and something saw-like) but not much for Opamps.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial or video that could show me how to build something like the VCO on page 13 of the National Semiconductor LM324 datasheet under "Typical Single-Supply Applications"? Even the simpler Squarewave Oscillator on page 11 would be a good start.

I know there are many different opamps with different specs unlike 555s which are pretty much all the same so it complicates things when giving advice on how to make oscillators with them.

An LM324 has 4 opamps in a 14 pins case. But the VCO uses only 2 opamps.
An LM358 has only 2 opamps (the same opamps as in an LM324) in an 8 pins case so use it instead.

The circuit is extremely simple to make and the schematic shows what connects to what except you must look at the datasheet and connect the inputs, outputs and power supply pins properly.

I see it looks quite simple but I was wondering if there was somewhere that had good examples (video hopefully) of someone doing it just like the numerous videos of people building 555 astable multivibrators?
Something for absolute beginners.

An LM324 has 4 opamps in a 14 pins case. But the VCO uses only 2 opamps.
An LM358 has only 2 opamps (the same opamps as in an LM324) in an 8 pins case so use it instead.

The circuit is extremely simple to make and the schematic shows what connects to what except you must look at the datasheet and connect the inputs, outputs and power supply pins properly.

I have never seen a video of somebody building an extremely simple circuit.

I started making electonic products along time ago by building a few kits. But kits are rare today.
Then I made some projects from magazine articles. But magazines are rare today.
Then I designed my own circuits and built them on Veroboard. But Veroboard is rare today.

All my circuits used normal resistors, capacitors and ICs with pins. But they are rare today since almost everything is tiny surface-mount.

But Veroboard is rare today.
Eh? Maybe in your part of Canada, but not this side of the pond :)

Eh? Maybe in your part of Canada, but not this side of the pond :)
The Vero company went bankrupt or was taken over by the workers there (God save the Queen).
It is not available anymore over here because there are many foreign copycats available here.
My last inexpensive stripboard was made in an Arab country and it stinks because it is probably made from compressed animal droppings (poo).
The copper strips on cheap (cluck cluck) stripboard come loose when you solder to them.

No matter how much we used to make fun of Radio Shack when I was a teenager it still had more interesting bits and things than what we have at The Source these days in Canada.
I bought a breadboard and some jumper wires online a while ago and they smelled horrible too :) kinda like mothballs or something.

The Vero company went bankrupt or was taken over by the workers there (God save the Queen).
It is not available anymore over here because there are many foreign copycats available here.
My last inexpensive stripboard was made in an Arab country and it stinks because it is probably made from compressed animal droppings (poo).
The copper strips on cheap (cluck cluck) stripboard come loose when you solder to them.

Last edited:
Vector is still around. My favorite style is their 8006. Quality FR4 Epoxy Glass material with an array of plated through holes. Makes a good foundation for building circuits.

**broken link removed**

The Vero company went bankrupt or was taken over by the workers
Didn't know that. Farnell are still advertising Veroboard and identify the manufacturer as Vero.

Didn't know that. Farnell are still advertising Veroboard and identify the manufacturer as Vero.

Vero has gone through many acquisitions. Its owner stopped buisiness in 2007 but sold parts to other companies. I don't know who owns Vero today and yes they still make Veroboard.

I always used dark blue epoxy-fiberglass Veroboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back