Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM317T Voltage regulator hookup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

evotec1

**broken link removed**

here is the information I am looking at, in his diagram, I understand what is going on, except for the part near the right side labeled "(-) return" .

Does this negative go to ground? it doesnt really say... and as for adding a capacitor, what IS transient response?

thanks in advance for adding your .02

evotec1 said:
here is the information I am looking at, in his diagram, I understand what is going on, except for the part near the right side labeled "(-) return" .

Does this negative go to ground?

Correct.

evotec1 said:
... and as for adding a capacitor, what IS transient response?
The output voltage of the LM317 is supposed to be constant and indipendent of the load current. However, if the current changes suddenly, the output voltage shows over(under)-shoots.
The datasheet shows that their amplitude is reduced by adding the output capacitor.

Attachments

• 317.png
    317.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 222
evotec1 said:
**broken link removed**

I you follow that (-) return line all the way to the left in your posted drawing you will see the 'ground' symbol, looks kind of like a upside down tree.

Now this 'ground' may not mean that it actual goes to earth ground somehow, but it could. What it really means is that the (-) side is hooked to the 'circuit common' and all other voltages are referenced to this common. When a voltage lead is labled say +12 in means a positive 12 volts referenced to circuit common. Again that common may or may not be to 'earth ground' potential, but that is another topic in it's self.

Clear?

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back