Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM311 Balance Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Does anyone know exactly how the two balancing pins work on the LM311 comparator? All the app note sfrom the all the companies seem to be copy/pasted from the same source and provide sample circuits but they don't ever seem to say what each balance pin actually does and how they interact with each other. (I'm trying to provide hysteresis without linking the inputs and outputs for positive feedback loops.)

Did you see Fig. 1 (on p.11) in the **broken link removed**? Read the accompanying text.

EDIT: Q5, along with R1, R2, R3, R4, and any external resistance you provide, in the National schematic forms current sources for Q1 and Q2. The Base-emitter voltages of Q1 and Q2 can be (un)balanced by adjusting these currents. That's what the balance circuit does. Positive feedback from the output to pin 5 also unbalances these currents, causing "offset voltage" in Q1 and Q2, which must be overcome by the input signal in order for switching to occur.

Last edited:
Roff said:
Did you see Fig. 1 (on p.11) in the **broken link removed**? Read the accompanying text.
Yeah I did. BUt I'm trying to minimize the number of components since I don't need offset adjustment and I am unable to separate out what does the offset adjustment and what is required for the hysteresis.

dknguyen said:
Yeah I did. BUt I'm trying to minimize the number of components since I don't need offset adjustment and I am unable to separate out what does the offset adjustment and what is required for the hysteresis.
Read my edit, although it probably won't help.

dknguyen said:
I would start out by eliminating the 5k pot and the 3k resistor, then tweaking the 33k until you get the desired hysteresis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back