Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM2917 Maximum Voltage Output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentSA

Hi

I am building a simple F-V based on the application circuit in the datasheet which I modified resistor/capacitor values to suit my application.

I want my max frequency of 300Hz to give an output of 10V. My Vcc is 12V.

See attached schematic
Lm2917 Circuit Final.JPG

The problem I am having is that the output voltage level reaches a maximum of 6.22V and refuses to go to 10V. I have tried playing with C and R but with no luck.

Please advise.
Kind Regards,
Student SA

If you look at the data sheet you will see that the zener regulator at the power input to the output op amp has a voltage of 7.56V. Thus the op amp output can never go above this value. Due to drops in the op amp and the base-emitter voltage of the output transistor, the maximum output is the 6.22V you measured. If you need 10V you can add a non-inverting op amp with gain at the LM2917 output.

Thanks for the quick response.

So this problem can be avoided using the LM2907 non zener regulated IC?

I never even considered the Zener to have any effect but will definatly look into it.

I know data sheets can be confusing, but they do contain a lot of info about how a device works.

You could use the LM2907 non-zener version but that would make the output voltage a function of the supply voltage. This is not desirable if the voltage varies, as the battery voltage does in a vehicle.

If the voltage source is a battery then you could use the non-zener version with a low-dropout 12V voltage regulator on the battery supply to provide a stable output voltage.

100% correct

Using the LM2907 has allowed me to attain a output voltage of 9.2V with the exact same circuit configuration. My voltage supply of 12V will be regulated so this IC should be fine.

Once again. Thank you.

Regards,
StudentSA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back