Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LLC converters (SMPS) do not have zero voltage switch OFF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
I thought LLC converters were supposed to have zero voltage switch_ON and Switch_OFF of the FETs?

However, as this waveform view of VDS (red) and I(FET) (green) shows, it definitely doesn't have zero voltage switch off.
https://i44.tinypic.com/2w4zqqa.jpg
Why is this?
LTSPICE simulation and schematic attached

By the way, the secondary diodes are zero voltage switched ON and OFF.
-All this refers to operation with F(sw) at the upper resonant frequency, that is, the resonant frequency of the resonant capacitor and the resonant inductor.

Attachments

• RESONANT LLC 80V 1A875.pdf
    14 KB · Views: 263
  • RESONANT LLC 80V 1A875.asc
    5 KB · Views: 306
I thought LLC converters were supposed to have zero voltage switch_ON and Switch_OFF of the FETs?
A example of ZVS on both edges is the horizontal switch in a TV set.

Horizontal switch:
>At the center of the picture, current is 0 and voltage is 0 and the transistor is on.
>Current ramps up to 6A, V is close to 0 because the transistor is on.
>The transistor is told to turn off. There is a large capacitor across the C-E of the transistor so the voltage can not rise fast. In the time the transistor turns off (current falls from 6 to 0A) the voltage only rises maybe only 10 volts. ZVS
>Now the switch is off and the C across the transistor and the Ls in the system resonate and cause a 1/2 sign wave of 1000 volts.
>At the end of the 1/2 sign the voltage is back to 0. The current drives into a diode across the transistor. (the voltage is 1 diode drop negative and current is in the diode)
>The transistor is turned on with a negative voltage on CE and 0 current. ZVS and ZCS
>Current ramps form -6A down to 0. {repeat the sequence }

With out ZVS it is possible to have 3A and 500V across the transistor for 100nS. Huge power loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back