Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Little help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeRange_Human

I wish to make an electronic dice, using a 7 seg. display to show the number that is 'rolled'. I thought i could do it using a high frequency a-stable connected (though a switch ofc) to a bcd counter, and then a bcd decoder.
However, as this is more of a random number generator, and for something to be a 'dice' it needs to be (obviosly) from 1 to 6, and i was wondering how to do this. I can get the names of the bcd counter and decoder, but i have forgoten them and would have to look at the chips to ifnd out :oops: .

Anywho, thanks for any potential help -
FreeRange

hi, this is probably a really stupid answer, but try a google search. i found exactly that the other day and was going to do it, but cant find it again now :roll: just take it from me thers one out there!!

edit: just found this, maybe you could change the voltages to go into a decoder for a 7 segment display, cant find the one i was thinkin of anywere!!
**broken link removed**

Thanks for the tips - but if i did as you said russlk, wouldent the display still show '0' ?
Anyway, thanks for the advice on google will, will try it in a mo.

FreeRange

Russlk said:
In order to stop the counter at 6, decode the output for 7 and send it to the reset pin. 0111=7

FreeRange_Human said:
Thanks for the tips - but if i did as you said russlk, wouldent the display still show '0' ?
Anyway, thanks for the advice on google will, will try it in a mo.

to stop the counter at 6, decode the output for 7 and send it to the preset pin, and set the inputs for preset at 1 (0001)

Attachments

• 1_6.jpg
    1_6.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 632
The delay between each fase has to be the same.
I think jumping from 3 to 4 has another delay as "reset and restart". And the change to jump on one specific figure is higher. For house games is not a problem I suppose.

You could use 555' to produce the timing coupled with a cmos 4026. The 4026 is a led digit display controller. Just provide pules to it from the 555 to make it count up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back