Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium battery that can fit in a .65" tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

I made a light up hula hoop for my wife, it's filled with AAA size NIMH batteries for 12V. She uses it a lot and they've started to die. It's always been a bit heavy so I'm thinking of going to Li-po or Li-ion, but I don't know of any that can fit in a tube that small (0.65"). A 11.1V or a set equaling that should work. I guess I could string together tiny ones but I don't really understand these batteries well enough to modify them and still charge them. Does anyone know of a battery that would fit, or small ones that could be made into one that fits and still be charged?

Hi,

10440 is AAA size Li-ion. 350mAh.

Be aware that charging lithium batteries can be DANGEROUS (there's a very real risk of fire or explosion) if you don't follow the correct procedure. :eek::eek:

Did you use NINE AAA Ni-MH cells to get 11.1V?
Then with Lithium you need only three cells.

A lithium battery must have a circuit to disconnect the load when the battery voltage gets to 3.2V per cell (9.6V for your 11.1V battery) or the battery will be ruined. The charger must be a "balanced" type so that one or more cells are not over-charged.
Hobby stores sell many Li-Po batteries and chargers for them.

Thanks, I hadn't been able to find that size of Li-po, I didn't know to search for 10440. If I put "10440 with tabs" in to google I find exactly what I need.

I do realize the charging is a bit complicated, so I got a charger meant for 2 and 3 cell packs. I would wire them like this right?
koppling.jpg

Besides attaching the leads in that way (im just going to buy a standard charging connector) is there anything else I need to do? Other components or steps I'm missing?

You show 4 cells with an average total of 14.8V and the battery will be 16.8V when fully charged. Will the light bulbs or LEDs burn out?

You need a circuit that will disconnect the load when the voltage gets low enough to damage the battery.

Oh, I just grabbed that off an image search to show how I understand the batteries should connect to the charger. I'm planning to use 3 cells. I don't think the LEDs would burn out from over voltage, but my charger won't do 4 cells anyway.

Last edited:
We do not know how you are limiting the current in your LEDs. If it is a simple resistor for each string of LEDs then when the voltage increases the current also increases which might burn out the LEDs.

Yep, just resistors. 220 ohm ones. They are pre mounted on a 3M brand strip which did not supply their maximum ratings, it just says 12V, I could probably find out the type of the tri-color surface mount LEDs they used and look it up if I do some research.

We do not know how many LEDs are in series and in series with a 220 ohm resistor.
Maybe they are four 2.0V red ones in series with a 220 ohm resistor then their current is 12V - (4 x 2V)/220= 18.2mA.
Maybe they are two 3.7V blue ones then their current is 20.9mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back