Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

liquid conductivity meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please post more information, two carbon rods from old batteries will do the job.

Well you can't do it with direct current; you will get a reading for less than a second, then nothing. The reason is that the conductivity is a result of the ions present in solution, and passing DC will alter this.
You need some kind of oscillator (Wein Bridge, or similar) to create a sine wave. Between 1 and 10 kHz seems to work well. Then using this current, and your probes (an audio cord with a gold plated phone plug works well,) measure the resistance of the water.

Well, it isn't really like a pH meter. The pH sensor acts like a very small battery; it puts out a very high impedance voltage, either + or -. at pH 7.0, the probe will put out 0.0v. With that one you have to offset, and scale the output.
Which probe were you thinking of? Post a link, so we can look at it.
Like Hero said, more info.

Last edited:
BeeBop said:
Well, it isn't really like a pH meter. The pH sensor acts like a very small battery; it puts out a very low impedance voltage, either + or -. at pH 7.0, the probe will put out 0.0v. With that one you have to offset, and scale the output.
Which probe were you thinking of? Post a link, so we can look at it.
Like Hero said, more info.
pH sensors have very high impedance.
They don't measure conductivity.

BeeBop said:
Whoops, yes that's what I meant. Edited for correctness.

I HOPE I didn't imply this:

but now that I read what I wrote, it kind of does sound that way.
I didn't mean to imply that you meant that, but I was aware that it might have sounded like you did. Sorry. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back