Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linux or windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

i am looking on godaddy for some server space and there are two choices. linux or windows. does that mean the software that they are running their server on? or what does that mean. i've never fooled with a website before so if you have any tips or suggestions i would be much obliged.

If you have just an FTP, it doesn't matter, matter fact linux servers are usually more reliable and secure than windows servers. though some windoze servers have more protocols than linux, like the .NET framework, if you use it..When it come to ftp access though you can't tell any difference between linux and windoze. Alot of them have the same usual services, like cgi/php, if you're going to be using them. If you're not doing something specially for windoze, like .net i'd suggest going with a linux box.

yer linuxbox. As mentioned the only thing you will lose is .NET and aspx, but then again there is alot better avail in a LAMP setup anyway and RubyONRails alot more flexable then .NET

Go for Linux, more stable relaibale than Windows.

so it really just depends on what kind of content you will be putting on there? i wont be doing anything different than the rest of the world so i guess i will go with linux. and what happened to unix? i tought the internet ran on it

Gaston said:
so it really just depends on what kind of content you will be putting on there?

Only to a fairly limited extent - most stuff runs fine under either - there may be a very few features that only work on one or the other, but not much, and not anything very important.

i wont be doing anything different than the rest of the world so i guess i will go with linux. and what happened to unix? i tought the internet ran on it

Unix costs a LOT of money, Linux is free :D - as far as I'm aware most of the Internet runs on Linux?, Unix is more large corporations and universities.

I thinks it's just an error accessing a server or webpage?

yes 404 is the error you get when the server doesn't respond. Either because the server is down, it is under DOS attack, or the page doesn't exsist.

uh, 404 is the error you get when the server is found, and the server reports that the requested file doesn't exist.

If the server doesn't respond your browser has to give you a report, it varies among browsers. Browsers don't give 404 errors.

mneary said:
uh, 404 is the error you get when the server is found, and the server reports that the requested file doesn't exist.

If the server doesn't respond your browser has to give you a report, it varies among browsers. Browsers don't give 404 errors.
thanks to mr. bill nye you now have a better definition.

Gaston said:
so it really just depends on what kind of content you will be putting on there? i wont be doing anything different than the rest of the world so i guess i will go with linux. and what happened to unix? i tought the internet ran on it

Unix was created around 1970 at AT&T, but over the years many implementations have come out of many different organizations (IRIX, HP-UX, Solaris, BSD, Linux, etc). Some of these meet a set of requirements needed to be allowed to use the trademark "Unix" or "UNIX" name, but others (such as Linux) are still considered to be in the family, and will often be referred to as "Unix-like", "unix" (small u), or some variant of "*nix" (more common among geeks).

Heck, even Mac OS X is built on a unix base (a BSD derivative called Darwin).

So don't worry, you can go with Linux and still get the history and experience of Unix. You just don't get to use the big U. :)

Torben

And for fun with error handlers: **broken link removed**

Silly but it still makes me smile every time I see it.

Torben

crusty said:
If most the internet didn't run on linux/unix, you would have constant 404's. LAWLZZZ

not even that. A 404 implies a webserver and OS are up to service the 404 page. If windows did (not) run the internet you would be getting a load of unknown host locally generated pages

Styx said:
not even that. A 404 implies a webserver and OS are up to service the 404 page. If windows did (not) run the internet you would be getting a load of unknown host locally generated pages

so does that mean if i (smoke) a crack rock, then i don't smoke crack rock?:confused: did you just hear the rofl copters start up???

crusty said:
so does that mean if i (smoke) a crack rock, then i don't smoke crack rock?:confused: did you just hear the rofl copters start up???

No, I think he meant that if Windows ran the Internet, the Internet wouldn't run, so you wouldn't be able to say that Windows ran the Internet. In which case you would never see a 404.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back