Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear vs. Audio taper pot w/frequency gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian218

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing/breadboarding a signal generator with the XR-2206 Function generator chip. The data-sheet is on this link: **broken link removed**

Eventually, I plan to interface it with a micro-controller to provide a LCD display, frequency counter function and misc. other functions, but that's a little ways down the road...

The frequency of the EX-2206 is determined from the RC time constant.

The ideal frequency range would be 'full range' .01 Hz to 1 MHZ, or at least close to full range. I initially plan to use 4 timing caps (.001:mu:F to 1:mu:F), which will be selected in any combination by a 4 pin DIP switch. The timing resistor will be a 1 Meg pot, in series with a 10k-100K pot for fine adjustment. All RC values are preliminary and may be changed for optimal output.

Most of my frequeny projects are in the audio range, but a few of them are at higher frequencies.

My main questions are:
1. I'm considering an option that will allow selection between audio and linear taper pots for the timing resistors. Would this be a worthwhile option, and if so, how much difference is there between an Audio and linear taper pot? I don't have any audio pots laying around, so I can't really swap one with a linear to see what the difference might be.

2. Has anyone else built a function generator with the XR-2206 (or similar) chip, and do you have any advice or recomendations on this project?

Thanks in advanced!

Brian218 said:
My main questions are:
1. I'm considering an option that will allow selection between audio and linear taper pots for the timing resistors. Would this be a worthwhile option, and if so, how much difference is there between an Audio and linear taper pot? I don't have any audio pots laying around, so I can't really swap one with a linear to see what the difference might be.
Audio taper pots have a logarithmic change of resistance with rotation. The resistance from the counter clockwise end to center is about 10% of the total and the resistance from the clockwise end to the center is about 90%. This would give a much finer control of the resistance from the counter clockwise end of the pot which, in your case, would be the low frequencies ( I assume you would tie the wiper to the CCW end to give an increase of frequency with a CW rotation). Whether this is desirable may have to be determined by experiment.

There are some pots available with a reverse audio taper which has the lower resistance from the CW end. That would give a finer adjustment for the high frequencies which may be preferable for your application.

A way to approximate a non-linear pot is to put a resistor from the wiper to one end. For example, if the resistor is equal to the pot resistance, than the resistance at the center position would be 1/3 of the maximum instead of 1/2. Of course, the maximum resistance is also reduced by 1/2, so you would need a pot of a larger value (double in this case) to give the same max. resistance as the pot with no resistor.

Thanks Crutschow!

I appreceate you response, I'll try your suggestion and see what works best for my application.
B-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back