Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linear voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

grekson

I am building simple PIC based PCB and I need proper power supply for it.
Can I use L78M05CV 500mA, 5V votage regulator?
Can I connect this IC like below schematics from datasheet shows?
Do I need any additional capacitors...?
**broken link removed**

To answer your question we need more info. What is your source voltage (Vi) and where is it coming from?

Without the engine running, extremely smooth.

What about when starting the engine and turning on the hid lights?
Can these large consumers make any harmfull spikes for my MCU?
Do I need any additional electrolytic capacitor?

What about when starting the engine and turning on the hid lights?
Can these large consumers make any harmfull spikes for my MCU?
Do I need any additional electrolytic capacitor?
Vehicle power can be very "dirty".

National Semiconductor makes/made ICs that interface with vehicle electrical systems, and in their application notes (somewhere online) they had a schematic for a workable transient suppression network.

You also might want to Google
"load dump transient"

The first thing I'd do is put a 1A, >600 PIV diode in series with the input of your regulator.

Last edited:
The necessary capacitance will change with 5v regs. If you look that circuit up, and find a similar-looking 5v reg at Radio Shack or whatever, it may require a very different capacitance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back