Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear voltage regulation with current limiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

king.oslo

Hello there,

I would like to ask for your opinion on a reliable circuit with component/controller recommendation.

I have a switching regulator, and I would like to place it in tandem with linear regulation using TO-3 2N3772 pass transistors. I want to get rid of the noise from the switching regulation.

I looked at the popular LM317 datasheet. It had a circuit that does this, but it required an awful number of components. Being a newbie, it is more practical for me to perhaps use a more advanced controller requiring fewer components? Do you agree?

The output has to be circa 0V-1V to exactly 15V. Adjustable current limit from 0A - 5A.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as there are so many ways to do this. I do not know what is rational! :)

Thanks! :)

Kind regards,
Marius

Hello there,

I would like to ask for your opinion on a reliable circuit with component/controller recommendation.

I have a switching regulator, and I would like to place it in tandem with linear regulation using TO-3 2N3772 pass transistors. I want to get rid of the noise from the switching regulation.
The way these are done is to set the linear regulator up referenced to the switching reg output and adjust the linear out about 1 or 2 V higher so it tracks. That minimizes power loss in the linear but still improves ripple and transient response on the output.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back