Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear Unregulated Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbchrist

Hi,

I am working on a project at home, a Hot Wire Foam Cutter! It calls for a power supply and a schematic is given from hobbycnc.com. The power supply is going to supply 24volts and about 4-8amps to a circuit card. This circuit card in turn will give electricity to a wire which will be used to cut foam.

**broken link removed**
It's the BOW POWER CIRCUIT.pdf

I purchased:

one 24 V.C.T. @ 5 AMP POWER TRANSFORMER (Model TX-245 from
allelectronics.com).
one 35 AMP 600 PIV
BRIDGE RECTIFIER (Model FWB-356 from allelectronics.com)
one Capacitor 40V 10000uF (Mouser P/N 75-36DE103G040AM2A from Mouser.com).
Bleed Resistors set up as 3pcs 5.6K 1/2W in parallel.

I hooked it all up and nothing blew up, but when I checked the voltage (at TB7) and I get 37.5 Volts.

Can you explain to me what is happening and what is going on?

Attachments

• BOW POWER CIRCUIT.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 247
Yes your 24VAC is an RMS(root mean square) measurement. The peak voltage of an AC sine wave is SQRT(2)*Vrms. In your case
Code:
24VAC * SQRT(2) =
24VAC * 1.414 = 33.93 Volts
This is probaly different from your measured value because your line voltage is higher than average so that the AC output of the transformer is a bit higher.

Does anyone know why you need DC to cut foam?
BTW, you won't get 37.5V when you connect it to your Nichrome wire.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply!

I checked my AC voltage and it hovers around 121VAC. This transforms the voltage to 28.1VAC.

Then multipling

28.1*sqrt(2) = 39.7334VDC

then accounting for the voltage loss in the Bridge Recitifer

39.73 - 1.4 = 38.3VDC which is pretty close to what I am getting, but why am I getting 28 Volts out of my transformer when it says that it is a 24 Volt transformer?

I think transformers are generally rated at full load. That would account for some, or maybe all, of the difference.

Finger cutter.

Hi jbchrist

jbchrist said:
So, you are saying that if I hook up my nichrome wire across TB7 that should drop the voltage?

That' correct, the output voltage of a transformer is always specified
at full load. The difference between no load and full load will be greater
with low power transformers, so don't be surprised if a 24 volts 5 VA
transformer gives you an output voltage between 36 and 48 volts.

on1aag.

jbchrist said:
So, you are saying that if I hook up my nichrome wire across TB7 that should drop the voltage?
The reason it will drop the RMS voltage is that it will cause more ripple (droop) on the capacitor. The RMS voltage will probably drop by a couple of volts, maybe more, depending on the resistance of the transformer.
If you really want 24 volts, get rid of the rectifier and the capacitor, and connect your fuse directly to the secondary of the transformer. I see no reason for DC in a foam cutter.

Last edited:
The bridge rectifier and capacitor aren't even needed. You can run a foam cutter straight from the transformer, why someone would even think of running a foam cutter off DC if they had AC already I don't know.

Foam cutter.

The reason for the rectifier and the capacitor could be higher output
power. If you increase the effective voltage by 41 %, the effective
current will also increase by 41 %, doubling the power. A 24 volts, 6
amps transformer is easy to find, a 36 volts, 4 amps transformer might
not be readely available in local shops.

on1aag.

I've never heard of a rectifier or capacitor setup that actually increased output power... The diodes are going to introduce loss and so is the capacitor, how does that increase power? It's heating element not a DC load where voltage regulation matters.

on1aag said:
The reason for the rectifier and the capacitor could be higher output
power. If you increase the effective voltage by 41 %, the effective
current will also increase by 41 %, doubling the power. A 24 volts, 6
amps transformer is easy to find, a 36 volts, 4 amps transformer might
not be readely available in local shops.

on1aag.
That's the only reason I can think of. I'm sure you could find a suitable transformer in the USA at Mouser or some other dealer. Maybe the DC solution was most convenient for the original designer. Maybe it was just ignorance. :(

Last edited:
Sceadwian said:
I've never heard of a rectifier or capacitor setup that actually increased output power... The diodes are going to introduce loss and so is the capacitor, how does that increase power? It's heating element not a DC load where voltage regulation matters.
You can in fact get at least 30V DC from a transformer that only puts out 24V RMS AC. The transformer, however, needs a higher current rating than the DC output current by a factor of about 1.6 - 1.8 (I've seen both numbers).

The reason I am using DC in the Foam cutter is the software and the circuit card will control the heat automatically from the software. That is why is needs to be converted to DC.

jbchrist said:
The reason I am using DC in the Foam cutter is the software and the circuit card will control the heat automatically from the software. That is why is needs to be converted to DC.

What Software and How is it going to Control the Current flow? You will also need to Detect the Actual Temperature, As it cuts the foam. Not Easy.

I found the best way is to just use a Variac. Complete Manual Control.

I am using the GMFC software and the Hobbycnc board. I don't really understand how it is going to control the wire temp, but I thought I would give it a try. I can always switch to the variac later on.

jbchrist, the same circuit could be used to control AC current, you just use an opto issolated triac instead of a transistor. Considering how much simplicity it adds to the overall design it's a good idea, you'll never have to worry about your supply caps blowing out from too much ripple current or losing a recitfier diode that takes your controller circuit with it.. It'll be lighter cheaper and more robust. Temperature is easily controlled by gradually dropping more and more half phases of the AC cycle.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good idea, but it sounds like it is a manual control. Is that right?

I wanted to try using the Hobbycnc foam cutter board with automatic heat control before I try a manual control. I don't know enough about foam and the melting point to try manual controls yet. But I am not throwing them out the window.

What does the opto isolater thingy do? How does it work?

jbchrist said:
That sounds like a good idea, but it sounds like it is a manual control. Is that right?

I wanted to try using the Hobbycnc foam cutter board with automatic heat control before I try a manual control. I don't know enough about foam and the melting point to try manual controls yet. But I am not throwing them out the window.

What does the opto isolater thingy do? How does it work?
It is basically and LED and a sensor in one. The sensor can be a diode, a transistor, or a triac in basic optos, but there are fancier ones.

As to control you could current regulate it. There are a few fancier things as well.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back