Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear Technology is now officially part of Analog Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonbramble

... as of today, the deal has closed.

LTC and ADI now form the world's premier analogue semiconductor company

I sincerely hope, although I highly doubt it, that ADI does not royally screw LTC....
Like TI did with National and BB
or Qualcomm is doing right now with NXP (by divesting all their standard products)

and so many others.

ADI still supports the Solid State Music (SSM) parts, so their record on this is good. Plus, lots of people like ADI, but people are crazy about LT. That kind of loyalty is priceless. There is nothing LT makes that ADI can't make, so they didn't buy any tech; they bought customer base and market share.

ak

Linear Technology have been great with me and samples, AD not so good. I dislike all these buy outs, its getting like supermarkets where you end up with limited choice.

Thinking it a little further, I hope that they don't discontinue LTSpice......... That would be a true loss.

Thanks for the comments. Over the last few months we have undergone exercises to look at the culture and operating practices of both companies and take the best of both.

**We really are interested in knowing why customers like ADI and why they like LTC. Equally, why they don't like ADI and LTC. **

LTspice will continue and indeed I believe we are importing some ADI part models into LTspice.

I love LT and if ever I were going to jump ship, it would be to ADI. LT needs a microprocessor portfolio and ADI needs a power portfolio, so it is a good combination and I am sure it will work out well.

If you have any comments on ADI/LT, please let me know and I will pass them to the powers above...

LT customer service is second to none, ADI not interested in kids (me) or the little guy. LT got a project of mine off the ground (literally), and ended up with alot of news coverage for it (BBC click program was one).

LT customer service is second to none, ADI not interested in kids (me) or the little guy. LT got a project of mine off the ground (literally), and ended up with alot of news coverage for it (BBC click program was one).

Mind telling me how you got such great costumer service? I sent a request for support last week and still got no response at all.
Thanks

what is your problem? if it is quick I can answer it. if not, I can put you in touch with someone who can

I need some specifications regarding LT8302MP, namely the ESD ratings (Human Body Module) and Gain and Phase Margin (Open loop response will suffice).
I can't find any of these in the datasheet. I tried contacting them but got no response. Do you think you can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

For the ESD I suspect 2kV Human Body Model. Most of our devices conform to that unless it connects to the outside world - like with an RS232 chip in which case it will be higher .

Regarding the loop response, this depends on the transformer and the output cap and its ESR, so this is why we would not specify it - it is determined too much by the external components that we have no control over. Indeed I don't think we specify the loop characteristics of any of our dc/dc converters for this reason. If you really need to work out the loop response, you need to apply a step load to the output and see how it rings. If it rings excessively, increase the output capacitance (since you cannot compensate the output of the error amplifier). If you really want optimum loop response, the LT3748 is a flyback that gives you access to the output of the error amplifier so you can tailor the loop response to your needs. In this case, you will need a Bode Analyser to inject a signal in to the loop to measure the gain and phase margin. I recommend the Omicron Bode 100 from personal experience.

You could try LTspice, but the LTspice models are designed for transient analysis (time on the x axis) not frequency analysis (freq on the x axis) so the models probably will not give you a true representation of the loop characteristics

LT is a bit rigid. When something doesn't fit into the framework (e.g. Website), they make it fit the existing framework. Related parts and development kits is a prime example. It's much easier to find related ("used together during development") stuff on AD's website.

I liked National Semiconductor's datasheets more than TI's. TI's TTL databook was great though. TI lost that ability.

OK, you have two parts that are similar and it's difficult on LT's website to choose one over the other.

Back in the 80's when AD had another life, I was contemplating purchasing a data acquisition system, the uMac-4000 and I asked for a manual before purchasing. No one had ever asked for one before. This was a $5000.00 USD product back then.

LT is a bit rigid. When something doesn't fit into the framework (e.g. Website), they make it fit the existing framework. Related parts and development kits is a prime example. It's much easier to find related ("used together during development") stuff on AD's website.

I liked National Semiconductor's datasheets more than TI's. TI's TTL databook was great though. TI lost that ability.

OK, you have two parts that are similar and it's difficult on LT's website to choose one over the other.

Back in the 80's when AD had another life, I was contemplating purchasing a data acquisition system, the uMac-4000 and I asked for a manual before purchasing. No one had ever asked for one before. This was a $5000.00 USD product back then.
Whats a manual :D

For the ESD I suspect 2kV Human Body Model. Most of our devices conform to that unless it connects to the outside world - like with an RS232 chip in which case it will be higher .

Regarding the loop response, this depends on the transformer and the output cap and its ESR, so this is why we would not specify it - it is determined too much by the external components that we have no control over. Indeed I don't think we specify the loop characteristics of any of our dc/dc converters for this reason. If you really need to work out the loop response, you need to apply a step load to the output and see how it rings. If it rings excessively, increase the output capacitance (since you cannot compensate the output of the error amplifier). If you really want optimum loop response, the LT3748 is a flyback that gives you access to the output of the error amplifier so you can tailor the loop response to your needs. In this case, you will need a Bode Analyser to inject a signal in to the loop to measure the gain and phase margin. I recommend the Omicron Bode 100 from personal experience.

You could try LTspice, but the LTspice models are designed for transient analysis (time on the x axis) not frequency analysis (freq on the x axis) so the models probably will not give you a true representation of the loop characteristics

Thank you, that was very helpful!
Best regards.

Hi,

I've purchased parts from various companies since the late 1970's. AD had parts that i liked a lot, the only thing i did not like was the pricing. Just like LT their prices were always rather high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back