Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear Opto Isolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikstart

Hi! I am looking for a linear opto isolator chip with at least 4 channels.

I know the IL300, HCNR200 and the like but as my project involves 8 analog inputs to a PIC mcu, my main concern is to make the analog front end as compact as possible. Making 8 circuits based on the above chips will be bulky and costly. Are there other alternatives?

Thanks for reading and perhaps replying.

Ioannis

It would help if we new what type of circuit this is and what type of isolation you need.

If a linear opto chip is your requirement, I think the best you can hope for is a dual channel.

http://www.clare.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www/LOC210_R4_0.pdf/$file/LOC210_R4_0.pdf

Not sure why the link is not clickable ?

Last edited:
HCPL-7800 and HCPL-7800A are the only "self-contained" analog isolators I have found.

Thanks for the replies. Please have a look at this link:
**broken link removed**

I wish it could be more clear to see the opto chips. That is what I need!

My project is defferent though. I have sensors (0-10 and 4-20mA) that are in a water pump station and want to read the values and send them over a radio modem to the main console station. I prefer the sensors are galvanic isolated.

I have in mind the chips proposed here, but the above link I think rules in matter of size and maybe cost.

Thanks again,
Ioannis

why not just change it to a PWM and isolate that? it is expensive to get good linear isolation, but then I am usually looking for 5KV+ isolation.

it is really easy since you are reading it with a micro anyhow. just send a fixed frequency ramp into one input of a comparator and your unknown into the other and feed that into a transmitter (there are some links that will take that directly). If you absolutely must, use a 555 for the ramp and use the micro to take out the RC nonlinearity.

You didn't say what kind of freq response you need, so I presume it's pretty lo freq or DC. If so, you might be able to use these Vactrols ... **broken link removed**

You can get them here ... <Newark Electronics>

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas. I will check them. I liked the vactrols very much. Are they available in Europe?

Ioannis

Newark is American but was purchased by Farnell of Europe. Farnell is in many countries. Go to their website and click on the flag of your country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back