Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirazmacuff

Hi all
I’m wondering if anybody has tried to make a linear motor using iron shaft or pipes and coils.
I have tried using steel pipe as the stator and wrapping a large coil at one end to make the pipe magnetic, but the magnetic field is either not in the right direction or not strong enough and making a movable coil on the pipe. (Think of a speaker voice coil)
Any idea is welcome

Yes i did and im building one now.

Its called a coilgun it shots iron rods(nails in my case)

In some museum they have one that can break a solid brick.

Think of a linear machine as a rotational machine un-rolled (you can then get tubular machines if you then re-roll along the other axis).

In fact the first linear machine were just that un-rolled (not physically) rotational machine.

However, with increase distance to traverse the number of poles need to increase (as Nigel stated) since you dont want your pole-pitch too high anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back