Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear Actuator

Status
Not open for further replies.

H_guy

I am not not that good at electronics, I am a mechanical kind of guy. I built a stand that uses a linear actuator to move a trap thrower up and down while the trap thrower moves itself from side to side to make it "wobble". My system has 2 momentary switches that set the limits on how far the linear actuator will go and theoretically when the switch is pushed, it will reverse the polarity of the linear actuator until the other switch is pushed and then the polarity switches again and repeats until it is turned off. The guy who I built it for has a DPDT, 12V DC latching relay from Grainger.com that should work, but I don't know much about this relay. I would think that since it is an 8 pin relay, it would have 2 pairs of pins that I could wire the switches to so it would switch the relay. Does anybody know more about these relays and/or have a solution as to how I can do this?

There is several kinds of latching relays; single coil, two coils, reversing polarity, mechanical latching,... and that affects the wiring. You need that information to continue.
One momentary switch could trigger one coil, the other the other coil, the DPDT contacts can easily reverse direction of the motor; but still there is more to it depending on details you have not disclosed.

Last edited:
Here are the spec's off of Grainger.

Relay, Plug In, Square, Latching, Contact Form DPDT, Pins 10, Base Type Square, Socket 5X853, 1ERG3, Number of Contacts 2, Contact Amp Rating 16 R, Contact Amp Rating 8 L, Contact Material Silver Alloy, Coil Volts 12VDC, Coil VA Rating 3, Hz 50/60, Height 1.9 In, Width 1.5 In, Standards cULus, cURus, CSA And CE

It is the Dayto 1EHY4

I was looking at a different one when I said 8 pins...

Hosfelt.com has an excellent price/performance ratio if they have what you want, or if it can be cobbled together from what they have. Grainger and MSCdirect are my last choices for electronic stuff.

I can't find any pin out number diagrams for that latching relay, but with 10 contacts it should have 2 contacts for a LATCH coil (~48Ω), 2 contacts for an UNLATCH coil (~48Ω), and 6 contacts for the DPDT switch. The attached should serve the reversing operation.

Ken

Attachments

• MotorLimitSwtReverserLatchingRelay.gif
    MotorLimitSwtReverserLatchingRelay.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 686
Could not find data either. That schematic should be exactly the one !

I noticed that Grainger's latching relays are about $50. I was playing around with the idea, and you could get the reversing action with two stock DPDT relays. Probably much cheaper. Auto starting on power-up wasn't possible, so I added start and stop switches. Just some mind experiments. ;)

Ken

Attachments

• MotorLimitSwtReverser 5.gif
    MotorLimitSwtReverser 5.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 492
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back