Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear Actuator for Artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdoop21

Dear Electro Tech,

I am very new to electronics so please bear with me.
I am TRYING to use an Arduino prototyping platform to operate a linear actuator.
(http://arduino.cc)

I bought 1 Unipolar Linear Actuator
Digikey.com item # 403-1030-ND **broken link removed**

and 1 unipolar stepper motor
Digikey item # 403-1001-ND
**broken link removed**

Both motors have 6 wires.
THEN I found this tutorial on the Arduino website **broken link removed**

So I bought a ULN2003A driver (because thats what the arduino tutorial used), thinking that I would be able to run my motor with it. BUT the motor in the tutorial has 5 wires instead of 6 and uses a potentiometer, which I do not want to use.

I could not get either motor to work when I hooked up the ULN2003A.
The funny thing was, I hooked my motor directly to my arduino board and it worked....but the arduino ATMEGA168-20PU chip got warm so I think that cant be right either...it didnt get HOT though.

So anyway, my question for you is....How can I run my motor safely and what Driver should I use with either of the 2 motors that I have already purchased?

Do I even NEED the driver?
Is it ok if the Arduino gets warm but not hot?

Thank you so much for your time!
-MBE

Dear Electro Tech,
I would really appreciate some advise. Please dont pass me up=(
Thank you!!!
-MBE

Use the driver.
The modified picture is from their pdf.

Attachments

• 5 wire unipolar.jpg
    5 wire unipolar.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 601
Thank you so much! That did it!!
My problem was that I had the Green and the Red wires hooked up to ground, not Power. Thats so confusing. THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!
I would have never realized that myself.

So...shamefully asking....what is the driver actually doing? I understand that it is a bunch of transistors but I do not REALLY understand. Do you mind explaining?

If I had not found the arduino tutorial I would be just at a complete loss.
How does one figure out which driver to purchase for a particular project? There are thousands of ICs....its overwhelming
Thank you so much, you have actually saved my life;)
-M

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back