Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Line tracing using proximity sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am done with line tracer robot using led photo diode sensors.Now I want to try proximity sensors for the same owing to their excellent response in ambient light conditions. But the problem is I am not getting any information of how to use those proximity sensors for line tracing applications.I attach an image of the cylindrical sensor I am using.I don't know what is its output type.So if anyone has used so please provide the information.

Attachments

• proximity.jpg
    proximity.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 480
Are you trying to sense light and dark with a distance sensor?

Are you laying down a rail or something else instead of a line?

Or are you going after simple object avoidance instead of line tracing?

A proximity sensor does not sense light and dark.

A proximity sensor senses proximity, i.e. distance.

How are you going to make your white line nearer or farther away than your green background?

Last edited:
Ok. Can I at least know how to use it for obstacle detection? Like the proximity which I have has 4 terminals as follows-
1(Brown)-Input dc 12V to 24V
2(Black)-Output
3(Blue)-Gnd
4(White)-Mode
How to connect it for obstacle detection?What is this Mode input for?

It would help if you posted the exact model (or at least manufacturer) of your proximity sensor.

Last edited:
This is how my proximity looks like.Its manufacturer is Sick optex. And the series is CDD-40N

Attachments

• optex_CDD_11P.jpg
    optex_CDD_11P.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 330
That is a photoelectric sensor, not a proximity sensor.

Mode is light on or dark on, probably selectable by connecting mode to +V or ground.

You mean to say that it is not used for obstacle detection but for color detection?
What do these modes stand for?
What is its output type? How does it vary? With distance or with color?

In the datasheet you provided circuit diagram is also given.Whether the transistor and diode circuitry also needs to be connected externally or it is already there inside? Because I already have tried the external circuit but my output across the load was constant 11.89V for 12V supply when mode was connected to brown wire(supply) and it was zero(again constant) when mode was connected to blue(gnd).
One more problem is that I have seen similar type of sensors for line tracing and the bots were tracing line perfectly.The problem is I don't know the name of that sensor,but they looked EXACTLY the same like I have posted one above.So is there any other sensor like this itself which is used for line tracing?

Last edited:
You can use the CDD-40N for line tracing if you choose the floor material and the line material carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back