Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

line follower

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoine magdi

Hi every one,

i'm trying to make a line follower robot, is it better to design it depending
on (image processing by matlab and wirless camera) or (ir sensor)

if anyone have an idea that can help plz help me (the required component, approximatly its cost, the algorithm used, any idea...)

Thanks in advance

I'm sure you don't want to kill a mosquito using atomic bomb, my suggestion is if all it will gonna to is to follow a line on a single color floor use IR, it's much simpler in implementation.

But if it is required to navigate on polka dotted or checkered floor, you'll need more than IR to accomplish this.

You don't say how quickly you need to track the line, or what the background is.

If it were me, and I knew what the background was going to look like, I'd go with a CCD camera and an onboard DSP. Simple DOG or Laplacian of Gaussian filters should give you a nice, clean edge to follow after you spend a little time exploring parameter space to filter out whatever the background is.

Then it's just a matter of designing the algorithm to rotate left or right to keep the edge pointed north. Of course, everyone has their personal preferences. To me, this seems the easiest and most robust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back