Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

line filter polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

i dont remember where i saw it, but i saw a post on the internet that said that a line filter for a SGTC should be connected in reverse to prevent high frequency from going back into the house wiring.is there any truth to this? to me it shouldnt matter with AC having no polarity. could someone please shed some light on this for me? thank you. i attached a pic of what i have.

Attachments

• 2011-11-04 11.36.37.jpg
    2011-11-04 11.36.37.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 380
It shouldn't matter too much which direction you have it. And by "in reverse", I think they mean put the "load" on the house side and the "line" on the TC side. That's because generally these filters protect devices from line spikes, whereas you want to protect the line from the TC spikes. Either way it should work, and I, personally, would just go ahead and wire it up backwards. It is also very important to connect the filter as close to the mains and as far away from the Tesla coil as possible. This will help it filter out the spikes more easily.

Der Strom

One filter should be enough. They are designed to prevent RF voltage spikes from getting back into the mains supply. You should be okay with just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back