Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

limiter ? compressor ? pls help !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

svtiss

Hi
I am working on a small project and there is 1 mic input , one line input and one output which going to a RF transmitter and the signal has to be compressed ( the transmitter’s manual does not say what level ). Does anyone know a good circuit for a limiter or compressor ( I am not sure what I need )
thanks

svtiss said:
Hi
I am working on a small project and there is 1 mic input , one line input and one output which going to a RF transmitter and the signal has to be compressed ( the transmitter’s manual does not say what level ). Does anyone know a good circuit for a limiter or compressor ( I am not sure what I need )
thanks

Compressors and limiters, while fairly similar, work in very different ways.

A compressor makes the quiet sounds louder, and the loud sounds quieter, reducing the dynamic range - this is commonly used on radio broadcasts, which is why they sound far more lifeless than a proper recording.

A limiter though doesn't affect the dynamic range in this way, it simply stops the volume getting any louder than it's limiting level - to prevent overloading of the following stages.

I suspect a radio broadcaster usually uses both, the compressor to reduce the dynamic range, and a limiter to prevent over-modulation of the transmitter.

Have a look at https://www.epanorama.net/links/audiocircuits.html#compressor

thank you for your reply.
I am thinking about IC's .Do you know any I can use? I dont have much time to build and test and find all components , and also they can be wrong (circuits).
thanks again

svtiss said:
thank you for your reply.
I am thinking about IC's .Do you know any I can use? I dont have much time to build and test and find all components , and also they can be wrong (circuits).
thanks again

There have been various specific IC's for such purposes, but such devices only have a very limited production run, I haven't seen any mention of any current ones for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back