Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Limit switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronv

Most Helpful Member
I'm working with someone on an H Bridge but using limit switches to break the motor current at the end of travel. I'm thinking this is not a good appication for a FET bridge due to the arcing of the switch at the end of travel. Anyone have experience with such a plan?
The load is a motor.

Last edited:
I have done it with relays and limit switchs. Can you use the limit switchs on the control side? Is it a critical application to switch the motor power with the limit switchs?

One comment, I'd like to make is that in many cases a limit switch is used as a safety switch. e.g. It's not activated on a regular basis.

A hoist: It has both an upper and lower limit, but most of the time, they are never activated. An operator with a brain generally keeps the hoist within it's limits.

A scientific instrument (stepper based): It has a low, high limit and an ORG switch. Org is the most important. So, the unit turns on and heads toward low, passes org and then advances to org.

A model gantry crane: I put them into the motor circuit and I had another feedback sensor. if the programming got out of whack, I went for overcurrent motor protection. it required a power recycle to clear the fault.

Shutter mechanism (synchronous motor): The switches were used to sense the ends, but the motor drove against a slip clutch. At least that's how I thought I designed it.

Yep, I think relays may be the way to go. I think the limit switches are built into the actuator. Everything I read says you just can't pull the plug on the motor and expect the FETs to survive.:(

Thanks

Yep, I think relays may be the way to go. I think the limit switches are built into the actuator. Everything I read says you just can't pull the plug on the motor and expect the FETs to survive.:(

Thanks

please enlighten me

provided the h bridge has sufficient capacitance across the bus, and the parasitic inductance of the 4 switches are adaquately snubbered, the h bridge cannot be destroyed except by thermal failure caused by a short circuit.

dv/dt limits fall under adequately snubbered.

unfortunately, you have to consider worst case scenario when building the snubbers; yet most of the time there aren't any!

Consider integrating the limit switches with the gate control of the FETs instead of using them to interrupt the motor current directly.

On some equpment I have seen two sets of switches. One for control signals and just after that another safty switch that would kill all power to the motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back