Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Like a relay but not moving parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

I need a part. Something like a relay, that works as a switch to turn on and of a line.

But it have to be really fast, so a relay wouldn't be an option. I am going to use this for turning on and off the ignition on my motorcycle. I will cutt the wire between the CDI-box and the ignition coils and insert the switch there.

I can't use a usual NPN transisor for this, right? I mean i don't want to amplify anything, just swich ON or OFF, not ON or GROUND that i would do with a NPN transistor. The wire are not allowed to be grounded, just cut off.

What part can do this?

I don't see why a relay wouldn't work, why do you have a requirement for high speed?.

If it's going between a CDI unit and ignition coils, bear in mind a CDI unit probably outpur 300V or so!.

Let me guess - you're going to kill the ignition during speed shifts in order to take the load off the transmission, so you won't need the clutch, and you won't need to shut down the throttle momentarily during shifting.
I have a friend who tried that back around 1980. It worked, but he was afraid that some sort of disaster ranging between transmission damage and death would happen, so he disconnected it. I think he used some sort of brute force mechanical switch actuated by the shift lever, but I'm not certain.

Let me guess - you're going to kill the ignition during speed shifts in order to take the load off the transmission, so you won't need the clutch, and you won't need to shut down the throttle momentarily during shifting.
I have a friend who tried that back around 1980. It worked, but he was afraid that some sort of disaster ranging between transmission damage and death would happen, so he disconnected it. I think he used some sort of brute force mechanical switch actuated by the shift lever, but I'm not certain.

You read my mind! There are a lot of these on the market so i can hardly think that it will damage the gearbox (IF it is properly configured and are used correct). It will turn off the ignition for about 50-100 ms and then turn it on again.
I am not going to use it for street driving, i do racing. I suppose i have to be active when using it so that the next gear is properly loaded before ignition turns on again.

This maybe is something i can use?
https://www.elfa.se/elfa/produkter/en/128938.htm?_37_425_17

Road bikes commonly have 'killswitches' and 'ignition switches', these both work on the low voltage side of the ignition system - why not switch it there rather than the high voltage side?.

I once rode home on a Suzuki 350cc two-stroke twin, in the pouring rain, with the throttle stuck flat out! - by flicking the kill switch on and off!.

Pretty scary though! - even in sixth gear the back end twitched round everytime you flicked the engine on :lol:

Micro switches on the shifter used to work ok on early 80's bikes ( exept for the fuel up problems ) Now you can shut the lot down (if you want )

Go racing
simo

Nigel
Iff that 350 you rode was an RD, you did well they went like the powers of , for there day,

simo

simoV8 said:
Nigel
Iff that 350 you rode was an RD, you did well they went like the powers of , for there day,

simo

RD were Yamaha ones, my Suzuki was older than the Yamaha RD350, but the performance was fairly similar, apart from a lower top end - you could certainly leave Porsches standing away from the lights :lol:

The performance of two-stokes was really outstanding, but a 350cc motorbike which does less MPG than a 1600cc car helps you to understand where it comes from!.

I always confused the suzi and yammy ,, was it a suzi hustler ?? well i spose this isn't the place for these sorts of questions,,

Simo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back