Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lightning Bug / Firefly Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

llamachant

Hello,

I'm very new to the electronics world but I want to try a small project. I'm looking to create a randomly blinking soft led firefly.

I can tell you that I want it to be battery powered and as small as possible. Other than that - I'm really not sure where to start. I look forward to the advice of the experts.

Thanks!

For compactness a small 8 pin micro controller would probably fit your needs, and you can set the fading and randomness of the lightning to taste. Many micro controllers can directly power a single LED, thought you do need to know a bit about programming and purchase a programmer to set the chips up.

I agree with Sceadwain. I would suggest you consider a PICAXE microcontroller. There are people on their Forum https://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/]PICAXE Forum - Powered by vBulletin that have already done the firefly. An 8-Pin chip is about $3.50 USD. No programmer is needed, just 2 resistors, 3-wire serial cable, and their free program editor. You won't even have to do the programming, since someone else has already written one.

Ken

Last edited:
New to electronics and you expect the person to get a download board, install the right software, and learn bit banging code. Jeez, surely there is a easier way...

For his practical purpose Mike, no not really. For persons generally computer literate it would be easier to adapt or learn some basic LED blinker/fader code than to from a limited electronics background do a whole circuit from scratch.

Good news.... I'm actually a programmer. I just don't know how to do the electronics side of things.

I looked at the forum mentioned and saw a lot of components but I'm not sure which items I would need to buy. Can someone provide me with a diagram of what parts I would need and how to put it together? I just need something to start from.

Thanks!

You might wanna do a little research first, there are a large number of choices out there. Is this a one time only project or are you intending on getting into electronics a bit more? What people recommend as far as devices/programmers go is really going to depend on your intentions for the long run. PicAXE would do fine for a one time project for the cost, but if you want to continue developing this stuff and learning you're going to want a real programmer, the cost would be a bit more still relatively inexpensive either way though.

Also for a basic electronics primer I'd recommend going to allaboutcircuits.com and reading up they have a very nice chapterized basic electronics page, although I prefer the forums here.

I will read the chapters of the site you mentioned. At this point this is a one time project to see if electronics is my thing or not. If this goes well then I will look at investing more but for now I just want to try a small project.

For the price one of the PICAXE starter kits will suit your needs. The site Kmoffet linked has an online store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back