Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighting Up indicator LEDS using latching relay powered by momentary 6 to 12 VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

catrainguy

Hi Folks,

I've got a model railroad and I want to display the latest "instructed" condition of the points of a railway switch on my control/indicator panel. I have an off-the-shelf LGB control box (LGB51750) that I understand presents a momentary (as long as I hold the switch closed) AC signal to the switch points. I'd like to tap off of that same control output to perhaps drive a latching relay that would light up one of two LEDs (let's say, "mainline" and "turnout") that are displayed on the train panel control box. So I have a few comments / questions:
- I'm thinking of using a SPDT latching relay, so are there relays that can be energized with the momentary 6 to 13 VAC control input (looks like from my Fluke meter reading)?
- What would circuit diagram look like to use the 2 output legs (DT) of the relay to drive the two different LEDs?

Thanks,

catrainguy

Here is a simple circuit

Very basic using a DPDT relay to DIY latching relay
circuit could also be built using ic's( thinking D-flip flops 7474 or perhaps a latching RS gate circuit
You may need to change the resistor value depending on voltage for the leds.
The latching relays may be your best bet.
I think I made a mistake, the pushbutton is to reset the relay.
Need to rework. The relay is triggered by the controller ac pulse then the relay latches.
Pushing the normally closed switch will turn off one led but turn on other.

Attachments

• train lights.GIF
    train lights.GIF
    36.5 KB · Views: 326
revised circuit

first one won't work-tooo early in the morning
pressing the nc button deactivates the relay

Attachments

• revised train lights.GIF
    revised train lights.GIF
    42.7 KB · Views: 325
Status