Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighting project help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGrimbo

Hi all. I need to build a lighting system and have no clue on how and what to do. Here's the problem parameters:

1) At each of 8 positions on a table there will be three lights (B, S, D).
2) At postion 1 there will also be an on/off swith and a push button.
3) When the system is turned on, lights D1, S2, and B3 need to be lit. (D1 is the the D light in front of postion 1, S2 is the S light in front of postion 2, etc).
4) When the push button is pressed, the lights need to rotate to the next position. IE: D1 goes off and D2 turns on, S2 goes off and S3 turns on, and B3 goes off and B4 turns on.
5) When a light at postion 8 turns off, the corresponding light at position 1 turns on. IE: If D8 goes off, D1 needs to turn on.
6) The system must run off a battery. Nothing bigger then a latern battery is a requirement, and running off standard alkaline batteries is ideal.
7) Try to keep the circuit from killing me if I touch an exposed wire on accident. A small "Learn your lesson?" shock is OK.

Can someone provide me with a diagram for this set up?

Thanks,
Kevin

You can use an MCU if you want it simple and small or do some tinkering whith logic gates.There are also counter chips that do this but may need some external logic to work the way you want.

Someone Electro said:
You can use an MCU if you want it simple and small or do some tinkering whith logic gates.There are also counter chips that do this but may need some external logic to work the way you want.

OK. I think I may not be expressing myself correctly. What I'm looking for is a diagram that I can take to a parts shop and say, "I need these items" and then carry them to a friend that can do the building of the circuit.

:)

sorry i never use logic gates.

You cod also use 555 times but you may need a bit of experementig to get it right.

hmm, sounds like somebodies homework question

hmm

i have some ideas but i would have to show them or it would not make any sence

i was thinking a small motor attached to a table and some momentary ON switches

like this (see pic)
the top spins with the lights and switches and the bottom stays stilland has a motor and shaft at the center

the only thing you would have to do is push and button to make the motor turn and when you have the light on the one you want let go of the button keeping the on light on

im not sure if this is exactly what you wanted because your first post was a bit unclear to me

Last edited:
NCGrimbo said:
Someone Electro said:

OK. I think I may not be expressing myself correctly. What I'm looking for is a diagram that I can take to a parts shop and say, "I need these items" and then carry them to a friend that can do the building of the circuit.

:)
What kind of lights do you want to use? Would LEDs be OK?

Maybe a "light chaser" circuit with a manual clock ( using the push button. ) The push button will need a "debounce" circuit, to keep it from doing multiple counts on each press.

You probably need 3 light chaser circuits tied to the one clock signal.

Try a search in google for " light chaser " and see if this is what you need.

You can do it with one "light chaser", although 3 might be just as cheap. With one chaser, you just need to drive 3 lights with each of the 8 outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back