Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

light replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgt-fig

hi:
:confused:I know there is a way but I can't even remember it. This is the situation,
have a simple circuit, light and power source (12VDC). question How can I add a light to this circuit that comes on when the first one is disconnected?
an anticipated thank you for any help.:)

Lotsa ways.

One way to do it would be to run a 6V light off 12V through a resistor, tap off the voltage at the junction and send it to a 6V zener diode, resistor and LED in series. Lights on and there's 6V at the junction, subtract 6V for the zener and there's no volts left for the LED. Light's out, the voltage goes up near 12V, LED comes on.

Two resistors and a zener, pretty simple, but crappy efficiency - half the power for the main lamp would be going into the resistor.

A more efficient way is with one NPN transistor and a small value shunt resistor across the base-emitter junction, resistor on the collector, grounded emitter, LED across the collector-emitter junction.

A +12V lamp, grounded through the base and shunt resistor, turns the NPN on all the time. This shorts out the LED. No lamp, transistor turns off, led comes on.

You can also do it with just a single relay, but you need a special one. Needs to have just a few turns of heavy gauge wire for the coil. Pulls more current than a normal relay, but has a low voltage drop. The main light is in series with that, the "indicator" light is on the NC contacts. With this one the indicator can be the same size as the main light.

Last edited:
Hi Duffy:
Thanks for the advice, can you help me a bit further? Can you send me a diagram with values?
Thank
sgt-fig

Hi Duffy:
Thanks for the advice, can you help me a bit further? Can you send me a diagram with values?
Thank
sgt-fig

A diagram? As in ONE diagram? Did you even READ my post? I suggested no fewer than THREE ways of doing it! I spent a half hour thinking up solutions for you, and you just glance at it and ask for a finished schematic with part values.

Last edited:
duffy;
am sorry if I burnned your bridge. I wasn't the best at "word problems" at school. If u still like to help me, a diagram of the one that uses a NPN transistor, PPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE, Pretty Please.

to blueroomelectornics:
No, I don't go to school any more, not since I got my BA on COBOL programing; However, It don't have to be any particular item, It can be an NPN, PNP, a resistor, a capacitor or a banana for that fact. By the way, haven't your mom told you not to answer a question with a quesion? - CHILD.

To duffy:
Evidently, you give advice that u can't back up, and I place you on a jam because I called your bluff, so, never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back