Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Light control

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumas

Hi... I have constructed the following circuit which runs fine on 9V. The circuit responds to light and dims/brightens the LED.

Using this concept, I would like to put this circuit in line with a 120V outlet and power strip and essentially use it as a control valve.

Based on the light intensity, only so much current will flow from the wall socket through the circuit and to the power strip. If the light is totally lit, the full AC current runs through the circuit over to the power strip. As the light dims/increases, the AC current is also diminished/increased.

I need help in modifying the circuit to do this extra "control valve" process.

120V outlet
connected to following circuit

HTML:
			+ 9V
			  |
		<		    <
		> 150 	        470 >
		<		    <
		|		    |
		|		    |
		|		    __		
		|		    \/	LED
		|		    __
		|		    |
		|_________________|/   2N4401	   
		|		  |\			   
		|	            |
		|		    |
	        |		    |
		<		    |
		> PhotoCell	    |
		<		    |
		|		    |
		|		    |
		__________|__________
			  |		
			_____	
			 ___
			  _

Hi... Thanks for the url - I checked it out and read over the material. Very interesting but it seems a bit overwhelming - so many choices / issues...

I'm wondering if the circuit I built can be modified - or if I just have to scrap it all together - which would be a shame.

What you built is for 10VDC. Transistors are for DC. A triac is a high voltage AC device.

ok...

I went back to the url and found their simplist example. It is hard to read but here is the one they referenced. I'm assuming that instead of the 185K pot, I would substitute my photocell. Is that right?

HTML:
Black o--------------------------------+--------+
                                           |        |
                                        |  |        |
                                     R1 \  |        |
                                  185 K /<-+        |
                                        \  v CW     |
                                        |         __|__ TH1
                                        |         _\/\_ Q2008LT
                                        +---|>|   / |   
                                        |   |<|--'  |
                                    C1 _|_  Diac    |
                                 .1 uF --- (part of |
                 S1                     |    TH1)   |
    Black o------/ ---------------------+-----------+

Also, this circuit involves a TH1 Q2008LT triac. I searched the web site, All Electronics, and they have a:

Teccor Q4015L5. Alternistor Triac - Specifically designed for applications which are required to switch highly inductive loads. 15 Amps, 400 Volts. TO220 package.

Would this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back