Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Light Activate a DC to Pulse Width Mod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdj808

Hello All,
In trying to do my part in saving energy and teaching my son about solar power, we built a nice little Dc to Pulse Width Modulator Kit to power a string of converted Malibu lights with LEDs and a 12volt battery that we have charging all day with a solar panel that keeps it all self sufficient. Nice and bright and last all night. Well, I thought instead of turning them on every night, I'd install a Photoelectric switch from the hardware store. Here's were I'm lost.

The Photoelectric switch is stated to handle up to 120 volts AC - 1000watts.
It has 3 wires: Red, Black, White.

The kit we made uses 12 volts DC and only has 2 outs (+) and the (-).
It also has a DCin, GND, and a Vref. I'm not using them now but should I and if so...how?

Help us and thanks.

djdj808 said:
Hello All,
In trying to do my part in saving energy and teaching my son about solar power, we built a nice little Dc to Pulse Width Modulator Kit to power a string of converted Malibu lights with LEDs and a 12volt battery that we have charging all day with a solar panel that keeps it all self sufficient. Nice and bright and last all night. Well, I thought instead of turning them on every night, I'd install a Photoelectric switch from the hardware store. Here's were I'm lost.

The Photoelectric switch is stated to handle up to 120 volts AC - 1000watts.
It has 3 wires: Red, Black, White.

The kit we made uses 12 volts DC and only has 2 outs (+) and the (-).
It also has a DCin, GND, and a Vref. I'm not using them now but should I and if so...how?

Help us and thanks.

Perhaps if you can find the device on the internet and give us a link we could help better. Short of that, I suspect the your PE switch may not work for your application. As well as rated to handle 120VAC, I suspect it also might require 120VAC for it's internal circuitry. which in the context of your project defeats the purpose of no external power, just solar energy with battery storage.

Lefty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back