Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LiFePO4 Battery Charger & Management Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

dweeb4

I have a A123 battery (2300mAH) I want to charge in a reasonable time (3-4 hrs).

I have the battery, charger & a circuit board in a small box. I've tried the LM317 CC/CV circuit for charging but the problem I've found is the heat dissipation inside the box & it's possible long term effect on the circuit board. The external PS can be either 9V or 12V - so there is probably too much heat dissipation in reducing the voltage. I can't reduce this external PS.

I've decide to use a buck converter based board on the MCP2307 - these can be picked up cheaply & with a bit of modification can be adjusted from an output voltage of 3.3V to 3.6V (the max voltage for LiFePO4 charging). These boards are not reducing current however so I need to implement a high voltage sensor cut-off. The MCP2307 has an enable pin that when high turns on the regulator.

So I wanted to implement a simple comparator based voltage sensor that would turn off the MCP2307 when the battery reached 3.6V. I also wanted one that signaled if the battery fell below 3.0V. I have LM393 comparators in stock

So I guess I need a voltage reference like a TL431? Has anybody got a simple circuit using these parts?

My other slight concern is that the MCP2307 outputs about 2A current while charging so if I turn it off when the battery reaches 3.6V what percentage full is the battery?

Edit: Actually, this may not be of concern as these batteries are meant to be able to be charged fully in 15mins or so at high C

Last edited:
OK, so I came up with this - I'll need two comparators (one LM393) & TL431:
- I'll use the 2.495V reference voltage of the TL431 as the ref input to the comparator.
- I'll use a voltage divider to bring the battery overcharge 3.6V threshold down to 2.5V - this will be fed in on the - of the comparator, the 2.5V ref goes into the + pin of one comparator. So when the battery voltage reaches 3.6V the comparator output goes low - this is connected to the enable pin of the MCP2307 which will turn it off.
- I'll use another voltage divider to bring the battery low voltage threshold 3.0V down to 2.5V & feed this in on the + of the comp & 2.5V ref on the - pin of the orther comarator. This will turn on the enable pin.

Does this sound correct?

I'm not sure how to connect up the TL431 just as a reference voltage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back