Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Li-Ion Battery Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulshah

I have got few Li-Ion Batteries which shows 0 voltage when measured with a multimeter. When I asked the shop-keeper, he told that they are fully discharged and needs to be charged and then they will work fine. But Yesterday I read in one article that its not advised and not safe to charge a fully discharged Li-Ion battery.

Should I go for charging those batteries?

audioguru

Most Helpful Member
A Lithium cell should never be discharged lower than about 3V.
If its voltage is 0V then it is ruined. If it is charged with the normal amount of current then it might catch on fire.

If its voltage is 2.5V then it might be able to be charged if its charging current is reduced from the normal amount until its voltage reaches 3V.

Read all about it at The Battery University which is online.

bountyhunter

I have got few Li-Ion Batteries which shows 0 voltage when measured with a multimeter. When I asked the shop-keeper, he told that they are fully discharged and needs to be charged and then they will work fine. But Yesterday I read in one article that its not advised and not safe to charge a fully discharged Li-Ion battery.

Should I go for charging those batteries?
A fully discharged Li-Ion battery is:

RIP

Is it a cell or cells in a closed battery pack?

If a pack is reading 0V, the ineternal protection FETs may be blown open.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads