Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

li ion battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Doggy

i have a 10.5v liion battery, i was charging it with my li-po charger is this ok? what should i be doing? lately it hasnt been working, maybe just dead battery?

one section of batteries might be dead. the charger( the the dead section is short) would only charge rest of them. If carefully managed
it might be possible to replace the dead cells and the battery revied from selecting similar working ones from dead stock or buying two such cells.

An example is Dell laptop battery is made up of three batteries in series. each battery is a set of 2 cells in parallel. this the voltage comes to 11.1V and load capacity is 4400mAH.

i have a 10.5v liion battery, i was charging it with my li-po charger is this ok? what should i be doing? lately it hasnt been working, maybe just dead battery?

10.5V is odd, each cell is 3.7V

A LiPo charger is unlikely to fully charge it, a LiIon is limited to 4.2V, usually a LiPo will have a slightly lower cutoff

Are you using a balancing charger? You should be, or at least balancing every few charges.

I assume you are aware of the care to be taken if taking it apart. More so with LiPos

Hello there,

My question is this: Is the battery marked as "10.5" or was that just the MEASURED voltage across the battery terminals at one point in time?

The characteristic voltage is sometimes 3.6 or sometimes 3.7, so lets see here:
1. Two cells in series could be marked 7.2, or 7.4
2. Three cells in series could be marked 10.8 or 11.1

But a manufacturer might assign it's own voltage designator such as 10.5 for three in series for example, just so they can identify the pack.

The cells actual voltage can range from about 2.5v up to 4.2v during what we might call 'normal' operation, so a pack of three in series could measure between 7.5v and 12.6v at any point in time. So a measurement could easily turn up 10.5 volts.

i was talking of Li-ion cells as used in DELL Inspiron 600M/Latitude D520 battery. each cell in a battery is #18650
ar2200mAH
a Photo is here
**broken link removed**

after reassembly i generally use my laptop to charge the battery at 11.1V 4400mAH.

I am yet to find an plugin device to directly plug the laptop battery to a designed Li-ion charger .
here is one LiFePo battery at 3.2V each. this also they call Liion (funny)
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
After receiving a LOT of money from the US government and promises from American car companies, A123 Systems had an expensive recall of their defective Li-Fe-Po batteries then the car companies cancelled their promises.
The Chevrolet VOLT car was going to use their batteries but no more.
Then A123 Systems went bankrupt.
Johnson controls bought a small part of the company and the American subsidiary of a Chinese company is trying to buy the remaining assets.
The American government might not let the Chinese company BUY A123 Systems.

My RC electric model airplanes use ordinary Li-Po batteries that get better every year.

its a: pegatron pb006

i was mistaken, it is actually rated at 10.95v 2200mha

also, it is a strange little device since it has 5 pins:
1) +
2) -
3)enable
4)ID
5)DQ

originally I had to short pin3 to pin 2 to get it working

but anyway....what is the rule for the li-ions, are they as sensitive as the lipo's,

i was charging with the lipo charger, but now when i charge charger jumps up to 17v or so an kicks in a error light
obviously a battery failure, prolly due to bad charging, but what is proper,

the lipo charger i was using only had two charge wires, red/black, but has setting for 1-3cell or 4cell.(used 1-3 of course)

can i perhaps just charge with 11v and a resistor? or are they more like lipos in the sense that they need voltage and current balance?
if so then should i be able to use the lipo charger for charging, and blame the fault on the battery by some other means?

11.1V is the average voltage of a 3-cells rechargeable Lithium battery (not the lower voltage ferrous kind).
It is fully charged when its charging current drops very low and the voltage is 4.2V x 3= 12.6V. If the battery is charged to a higher voltage then it will probably have a high charging current and it will probably catch on fire.

If your charger measures 17V when charging your battery then your battery must have a defective cell or two.

Series Lithium cells must be charged with a balancing charger. Your 5 pins do not have a translation about what ID and DQ are for. Maybe they are to be connected to a special balancing charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back