Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LGA soldering help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas632

Hi Guys,
I have some components that I needed and could only find in LGA packages. I have the facility to produce surface mount PCBs, but not put the LGA components on. Does anybody know a way that I could solder these components on to my board? This is for a student project so cost is going to be an issue. The components in question are also not uP's and so the standard LGA sockets wont be appropriate...

Thanks

YOu shoudl have changed your design to use other components. If you already have the LGAs, then the only thing you can do is to use solder paste and take your chances by putting it in a reflow oven preferably or a toaster oven which you will never again use for food and watch it carefully. If it doesn't reflow properly though (and it probably won't)...not much you can do to fix it. Safest way is to actually send the PCB and LGA away and get a company to mount it for you that can x-ray it to see that it's probably soldered and fix it it's not. It's expensive though. Like a hundred to a few hundred bucks).

Last edited:
Most butane soldering irons have a hot gas tube attachement. You should practice on something you can afford to destroy first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back