Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Let's Talk About Capacitor Ripple Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inquisitive

Super Moderator
Hi Everyone,

So, I was looking at Panasonic Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors they give a ripple current specification. Can somebody enlighten me? These are all 100uF caps.

Here are three samples:

Panasonic ECA-1EHG101 Ripple Current: 130 mA
Panasonic EEU-EB1E101S Ripple Current: 95 mA
Panasonic EEU-FM1E101 Ripple Current: 455 mA

If I'm looking to smooth a 9VDC power supply for MCU's which is the better choice? Can you explain how to use these specs to my advantage.

Bigger than a 100uF would be better :D (assuming it's the reservoir capacitor)

Apart from that, any of the three would be perfectly fine, it's not a concern for a simple application like this.

If I'm looking to smooth a 9VDC power supply for MCU's which is the better choice?
You did not say if the supply is switching (PWM) or just a 60hz transformer and diodes.
You did not say what the load current is.
Often the current spec. has numbers for 60hz and different numbers for 100khz.

Also affected by transformer secondary voltage, the dropout voltage of the regulator

You did not say if the supply is switching (PWM) or just a 60hz transformer and diodes.
You did not say what the load current is.
Often the current spec. has numbers for 60hz and different numbers for 100khz.

Sorry about that. Using a wallwart 120VAC 60Hz to 12VDC 200mA hooking to a microcontroller circuit

The ripple current spec is just the maximum current the capacitor can tolerate without overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back