Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Less than a Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flash69

Greetings,

I'm not really an electronics hobbyist, but there are things I've always wanted to do. I'm getting old, and I figured I better start learning something now so I can do something interesting when I retire.

One thing I have always wanted to do is modify a Surefire pressure switch to a micro receiver and install it on a Surefire light so I can activate it from a few hundred feet away. The pressure switches are easily available, and the switch can be cut off, and the wires reinstalled into another device. I would like to use the Nikon remote control. It is very small, like a flash drive, although the range is only about 60 feet. Maybe there is a better one that some of you guys know about. This could be very useful when hiking/camping in the wilderness. Such a flashlight could be installed in a tree, or clamped to some other structure, and activated while I'm hiding in the dark elsewhere.

A more immediate interest for me though, is a timed switch that I can install in a 123A flashlight, in place of the tailcap. I have several such flashlights, and some home-builds. I want to drill a hole in a replacement tailcap for the human interface of the switch, and have the switch inside. I would like to be able to set the switch to 1 or 2 or 5 minutes or whatever. The purpose is to install the flashlight in a remote location, activate the timer, and have a few minutes to get to another location before it activates the light.

Such a switch would have to be about 15mm in diameter. If someone could direct me to a source of switches, I would really appreciate it. The more selection offered, the better. I might want a 25mm switch for D-cell flashlights.

I always hear of guys who take apart cameras, and other appliances to use the parts, but I've never done that. I wouldn't know how to find a device that would have what I want, or how to extract it, unless someone told me about it.

Thank you.

Flash69 the RF path loss factor is √f, so look for lower f devices such as in 21MHz band or lower with an long Tx wire antenna and coil AM Rx.

Long time interval timers are easy to make with binary counter/clock CD4060 chip with output to disable counter when reached.

Momentary pushbuttons also available at Digikey.com need a cap across contact to debounce voltage to V+ with a large pull down R value for RC > bounce time into schmitt trigger input of counter.

Welcome to eto.

I'm guessing you want to keep this simple,I have one ofthese on a ledspotlight on my garage, I can operate it 200 fee away in my car, further if I extend the aerial on the keyfob:

**broken link removed**

If you look you can get them with relay or transistor output, should be just the job.

I found a usefull push on/push off switch in a cheap dummy domevideo camera I got from a pound shop.

Welcome to eto.

I'm guessing you want to keep this simple,I have one ofthese on a ledspotlight on my garage, I can operate it 200 fee away in my car, further if I extend the aerial on the keyfob:

**broken link removed**

If you look you can get them with relay or transistor output, should be just the job.

I found a usefull push on/push off switch in a cheap dummy domevideo camera I got from a pound shop.

I've used those for a few things too. Some lights in my house, and a stage prop for a friend with a band (it was a UFO that had a nylon tube "tractor beam" it could drop and light up). They can definitely cover 60 feet, and usually have a jumper to select switch or momentary operation.

Congrats on deciding to learn electronics. Its amazing how fast you can go with all the resources available online. I blinked my first LED just 8 years ago and now I design power train controllers for Tesla motors. This forum has helped immensely.

I read Tesla once used 88 MOSFETs, how many are used now? Palo Alto guys would know.

Any 32-bit, 80 MHz RISC microprocessors ?

Greetings,

I'm not really an electronics hobbyist, but there are things I've always wanted to do. I'm getting old, and I figured I better start learning something now so I can do something interesting when I retire.

One thing I have always wanted to do is modify a Surefire pressure switch to a micro receiver and install it on a Surefire light so I can activate it from a few hundred feet away. The pressure switches are easily available, and the switch can be cut off, and the wires reinstalled into another device. I would like to use the Nikon remote control. It is very small, like a flash drive, although the range is only about 60 feet. Maybe there is a better one that some of you guys know about. This could be very useful when hiking/camping in the wilderness. Such a flashlight could be installed in a tree, or clamped to some other structure, and activated while I'm hiding in the dark elsewhere.

A more immediate interest for me though, is a timed switch that I can install in a 123A flashlight, in place of the tailcap. I have several such flashlights, and some home-builds. I want to drill a hole in a replacement tailcap for the human interface of the switch, and have the switch inside. I would like to be able to set the switch to 1 or 2 or 5 minutes or whatever. The purpose is to install the flashlight in a remote location, activate the timer, and have a few minutes to get to another location before it activates the light.

Such a switch would have to be about 15mm in diameter. If someone could direct me to a source of switches, I would really appreciate it. The more selection offered, the better. I might want a 25mm switch for D-cell flashlights.

I always hear of guys who take apart cameras, and other appliances to use the parts, but I've never done that. I wouldn't know how to find a device that would have what I want, or how to extract it, unless someone told me about it.

Thank you.
I doubt that there are switches that you want. I think I can give you a circuit that once a small switch is turned on the light will be energized for a approximate time you would prefer. If necessary I can give you picture of the wired circuit, and a parts list and source of supply.

I doubt that there are switches that you want. I think I can give you a circuit that once a small switch is turned on the light will be energized for a approximate time you would prefer. If necessary I can give you picture of the wired circuit, and a parts list and source of supply.
Thanks, but I don't need a light activated for a certain amount of time. I just want to activate a switch and walk away, knowing the time to light activation will be 2 minutes or 5 minutes, or even 10. It would be great to be able to set the timer myself.

The Luminaire interface probably does not need a Relay but rather a MOSFET switch This shows a pot to adjust a fast clock which drives a binary counter chain /2/4/8/16/32.../1024/2048..
etc. So a 1 Hz clock /1024 is 17 minute cycle, but if you stop half way and stop the clock and invert the output with a MOSFET switch you get a 8.5 minute interval so /512 must be 4.2 min and /2048 is 17 minutes.

If you want more resolution change the pot speed or we can add gates to do an exact number.

each output stage starting with Q0 is /2 thus Q1 is /4 Q3 is /8 and so on.

http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/cd4060-timer-circuit-1-minute-to-2-hours

Next define your physical interface and product intended with battery. and what kind of switch you can use. ( DIP switch , toggle, rotary etc)

More examples here http://www.google.ca/search?q=cd406...COYLXsAXgl4CwBw&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1716&bih=736

The Luminaire interface probably does not need a Relay but rather a MOSFET switch This shows a pot to adjust a fast clock which drives a binary counter chain /2/4/8/16/32.../1024/2048..
etc. So a 1 Hz clock /1024 is 17 minute cycle, but if you stop half way and stop the clock and invert the output with a MOSFET switch you get a 8.5 minute interval so /512 must be 4.2 min and /2048 is 17 minutes.

If you want more resolution change the pot speed or we can add gates to do an exact number.

each output stage starting with Q0 is /2 thus Q1 is /4 Q3 is /8 and so on.

http://www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/cd4060-timer-circuit-1-minute-to-2-hours

Next define your physical interface and product intended with battery. and what kind of switch you can use. ( DIP switch , toggle, rotary etc)

More examples here http://www.google.ca/search?q=cd406...COYLXsAXgl4CwBw&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1716&bih=736
This will sound weird, but it's true. I learn like a computer. When I hear language I don't understand, I store it and match it with more terms I hear later, and develop an understanding of a concept. So the way you are explaining things is over my head, but that is helpful. It's the only way I can learn.

The device you are describing is what I'm after, though I'm sure there a few different types (which I don't know about yet) that accomplish the same end.

Now if I could just get this functionality down to the size of a quarter, I'll be laughing.

This device interests me, but for different applications than what I've described, since it is too large. I'm not sure what I would use it for, but it looks like a very valuable device to have in my toolbox.

**broken link removed**

I could get it down to a quarter size with an SMD design, but this is beyond your skill level.

I could get it down to a quarter size with an SMD design, but this is beyond your skill level.
Point taken, but could you describe the functionality? What required actions or installation steps are beyond me? If it's math, I probably won't attempt it, but I'd like to know for myself.

Functions
You can choose any of 1,2,4,8,16 time intervals with a pencil on a DIP switch or vary that unit of measure with a trimpot be it one second or 1 minute.

Turning on power resets the counter then starts counting till one of the binary sequential outputs goes high. When it turns on, the clock stops and the Transistor switch drives the LED light or whatever low from its battery ground return to ground.

The actions at your level of understanding would fill pages. If you have dont have Electronics experience or any questions on the links or comments I have made, then you must search and buy something, that I do not know exists.

Good breadboard or wireboard fine wire soldering skills are needed using 30AWG magnet wire, since we wont layout a board for this.

Thanks, but I don't need a light activated for a certain amount of time. I just want to activate a switch and walk away, knowing the time to light activation will be 2 minutes or 5 minutes, or even 10. It would be great to be able to set the timer myself.
I'm sorry I understood your need wrong. So you want to push a switch, walk away and in a certain time the light comes on, and stays on. Is this right?

I'm sorry I understood your need wrong. So you want to push a switch, walk away and in a certain time the light comes on, and stays on. Is this right?
Yes. Until I go back to retrieve the light. Remote activation is obviously better for most circumstances, but as I said in my OP, I want both.

Functions
You can choose any of 1,2,4,8,16 time intervals with a pencil on a DIP switch or vary that unit of measure with a trimpot be it one second or 1 minute.

Turning on power resets the counter then starts counting till one of the binary sequential outputs goes high. When it turns on, the clock stops and the Transistor switch drives the LED light or whatever low from its battery ground return to ground.

The actions at your level of understanding would fill pages. If you have dont have Electronics experience or any questions on the links or comments I have made, then you must search and buy something, that I do not know exists.

Good breadboard or wireboard fine wire soldering skills are needed using 30AWG magnet wire, since we wont layout a board for this.
Can you give me some names or terms to search so I can see pics of what you're saying? Maybe a site that sells the parts. Seeing it would help me understand what is involved. Thanks.

Well, 5th graders can do it. just take a look at www.picaxe.com. You will probably run away. It's a small microprocessor programmabel in a basic like language.

Not sure what a 123A flashlight is, Oh, so it's a flashlight powered by a 3V lithium battery. That kind of stuff makes a difference, Lithium has a flat discharge over time. One of the PICAXE operates from 2.3 to 5V. They mention 1.8.V.

What's missing in the PICAXE is some sort of low power mode.

An MSP430 processor might be a better choice, but that is WAY WAY over your head. http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/microcont...r/overview.page?DCMP=PPC_Google_TI&k_clickid=

Well, 5th graders can do it. just take a look at www.picaxe.com. You will probably run away. It's a small microprocessor programmabel in a basic like language.

Not sure what a 123A flashlight is, Oh, so it's a flashlight powered by a 3V lithium battery. That kind of stuff makes a difference, Lithium has a flat discharge over time. One of the PICAXE operates from 2.3 to 5V. They mention 1.8.V.

What's missing in the PICAXE is some sort of low power mode.

An MSP430 processor might be a better choice, but that is WAY WAY over your head. http://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/microcont...r/overview.page?DCMP=PPC_Google_TI&k_clickid=
That looks like a good lead. Thank you. In grade 9 I had to solder resistors on a board to make something. I remember that the board did something when I was done, but I don't remember what.

In grade 11 I had an electronics class where I made an intercom with two project boxes. We had to pick a project of our own choosing, and an intercom was the only thing I could think of that I wanted. I think the idea was over my head, and the teacher was frustrated with me for wanting something more advanced than the other students. I don't think I ever got it working.

Anyway, I have experience with soldering, and I remember Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly. That's how we learned it in grade 9. Mr. Philips wrote that on the chalkboard. Maybe you learned it differently.

So if I ordered the Picaxe starter kit, that would get me on the road toward having the skill to make what I want? That's what it looks like.

An intercom I did in grade 4. Then I won every grand prize in the science fairs in grade school.

In high school I did well and also won an honorabe mention in a regional fair. A guy I helped also did well.

Two substitutions in your phrase is Virginia and Black.
Black and violet fixes some possible goofs.

Lots of choices for kits.

For the PICAXE you need a low voltage processor for a final project. Lots of development choices.

The I2C bus can be used for expansion.

A BCD switch could select up to 16 different times. A button for start and a switch for continous/On and one for on/off might work. I'm not thinking far ahead.

I THINK the PA might have integral debouncing. Contact debbuncing is one of the first things you have to generally learn.

The contacts of a switch literally "bounce" and on a computer time scale it results in a random number of presses for seemingly one press.

Deep sleep may not be possible.

There has to be some nuances as to how you want it to operate.

Rember you can also use short and long presses.

e.g standby/off one switch
and
Short press on continuous
LONG press ON TIMED

short or long press when on means off.

Which kit were you thinking of?

I'd consider a possibe interface before selecting a processor.

You can also buy one development board and change the processor.

When it comes time to mineaturize, you can change to an SMT processor.

Do some reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back