Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

leds

Status
Not open for further replies.

oakmeadows

i am new to leds so what i want to do is how do i work out what resistor i need when putting a single led on a 12v supply.And if i want to put more than one led in series would i do something different

"Led resistor calculator" here is one of the many links
returned by the search engine "Google"

**broken link removed**

basically it depends on the color of the led. red leds work on about 2V, while blue or purple need about 4V. say you want to run a red led on 12V - you want the led to run on 2V (any more could blow it up!). so what you need is a resistor in series to drop the 12V down to 2V at 20mA (that's the average led current draw). so you want the resistor to have 10V across it, so there's 2V left over. So:

R=V/I

R=10/0.02

R=500 ohm, so use something close like a 470 ohm.

If you were to have 2 led's in series, they would need 2V each, so same current, double voltage. The datasheet will give you all the info - what voltage and current it should run on.

If you wanted to use a different battery (like a 9V), work out that the resistor would need a 7V drop.

Hope it's helpfull.

Josh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back